Diabetes and Obesity
Diabetes and obesity are an increasing burden worldwide and are major risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. Our research focuses on type 1 and type 2 diabetes, diabetes complications and obesity. We have access to a large cohort of patients and undertake observational as well as randomised clinical studies in patients with type 1, type 2 diabetes and obesity.
Current studies include but are not limited to:
- Detection and management of diabetes complications in particular diabetic kidney disease;
- Effects of dietary salt intake in diabetes;
- Effects of pregnancy on renal function in patients with diabetes;
- Effects of very low calorie diets on obesity in general population, in pre-pregnancy population and in geriatric population;
- Prevalence and outcomes of inpatients with diabetes and obesity.
- Cilla Haywood, Postdoctoral researcher
- Priya Sumithran, Postdoctoral researcher
- Sarah Price, PhD student and Endocrinologist
- Kira Edwards, PhD student
- Jas-mine Seah, PhD student and Endocrinologist
- Sara Baqar, PhD student and Endocrinologist
- Mariam Hachem, Research Assistant
- Prof Joe Proietto, Honorary Professor
- A/Prof Sof Andrikopoulos, University of Melbourne
Professor Jeffrey Zajac, Head of Medicine Austin Health
Professor Richard MacIsaac, Director of Diabetes at St. Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne
- Dr Elisabeth Lambert, Senior Researcher, Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute
- Professor Leonid Churilov, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health
Professor Melinda Coughlan, Senior Researcher, BakerIDI Heart and Diabetes Insitute
- Professor George Jerums, University of Melbourne
- Sir Edward Dunlop Medical Research Foundation Grant
- Viertel Clinical Investigatorship
- DART (Diabetes Australia Research Trust)
- NHMRC (National Health and Medical Research Council) Early Career Fellowship
- AstraZeneca Pty Ltd Project Grant
- Radcliffe NJ , Seah J, Clarke M, MacIsaac RJ, Jerums G, Ekinci EI. Clinical Predictive Factors in Diabetic Kidney Disease Progression. Journal of Diabetes Investigation, 14th March 2016.
- Coughlan MT, Higgins GC, Nguyen TV, Penfold S, Thallas-Bonke V, Ramm G, Van Bergen N, Henstridge DC, Sourris K, Harcourt B, Trounce I, Robb P, Laskowski A, McGee S, Genders A, Walder K, Drew B, Gregorevic P, Qian H Thomas M, Jerums G, Macisaac R, Skene A, Power D, Ekinci EI, Wijeyeratne X, Gallo L, Herman-Edelstein M, Ryan M, Cooper M, Thorburn D, Forbes J. Deficiency in apoptosis inducing factor recapitulates chronic kidney disease via aberrant mitochondrial homeostasis. Diabetes 2016. [Epub ahead of print].
- Tint AN, Hoermann R, Wong H, Ekinci E I, MacIsaac RJ, Jerums G, Zajac JD, Grossmann M. Association of sex hormone-binding globulin and free testosterone with mortality in men with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Eur J Endocrinol 2016; 174(1): 59-68.
- Diabetes Discovery - prevalence and outcomes in inpatients with diabetes
- Management of acute decompensated heart failure in inpatients with diabetes
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Dr Elif Ekinci