Reproductive Steroids Research Group
Major themes of our research focus on the roles of reproductive hormones in health and disease.
We conduct observational and interventional trials in men with:
- prostate cancer receiving androgen deprivation therapy,
- diabetes and low testosterone,
- hypogonadism and
- women with hormone receptor positive breast cancer
to understand how reproductive hormones regulate musculoskeletal health and glucose homeostasis, both at the clinical and the molecular level.
- Dr. Ada Cheung, PhD Student
- Dr. Mark Ng Tang Fui, PhD Student
- Dr. Sabachini Ramchand, PhD Student
- Dr. Nicholas Russell, PhD Student
- Mrs. Jenny Healy, Clinical Trials Coordinator
- Professor Gary Wittert, University of Adelaide
- Professor David Handelsman, ANZAC Institute, Sydney
- Professor Bu Yeap, University of Western Australia
- Professor Ego Seeman, University of Melbourne
- Professor Peter Angus, University of Melbourne
- Professor Marcus Pandy, University of Melbourne
- Professor Richard Kaanan, University of Melbourne
- 2016-2019 NHMRC Project Grant. Biological actions of estradiol in men .
Role: Chief Investigator A [Grossmann M, Zajac JD, Kanaan R, Handelsman DJ, Seeman E].
- 2014-2017 NHMRC Project Grant. Bone architecture and glucose metabolism in men with prostate cancer .
Role: Chief Investigator A [Grossmann M, Zajac JD].
- 2012-2015 NHMRC Career Development Fellowship I. Control of musculoskeletal function and glucose metabolism by androgens in men).
Role: Sole Investigator.
- 2012-2016 NHMRC Project Grant. Testosterone intervention for the prevention of diabetes mellitus in high-risk men: a randomised trial.
Role: Chief Investigator C [Wittert G, Yeap B, Grossmann M, Allan C, McLachlan R, Conway A, Kaye J, Jenkins A, Daniel M].
This research project is available to PhD students to join as part of their thesis.
Please contact the Research Group Leader to discuss your options.
- Cheung AS, Hoermann R, Dupuis P, Lim Joon DL, Zajac JD, Grossmann M. Relationships between insulin resistance and frailty with body composition and testosterone levels in men undergoing androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. European Journal of Endocrinology 2016; in press (accepted 16/5/16) [50%, CAS=PhD, DP=PF].
- Russell N, Grossmann M. Plasma miRNA expression profile in the diagnosis of late-onset hypogonadism. Asian Journal of Andrology 2016; in press (accepted 10/5/16) [40%, RN=PhDc].
80.Cheung AS, de Rooy C, Hoermann R, Gianatti EJ, Hamilton EJ, Roff G, Zajac JD, Grossmann M. Correlation of visceral adipose tissue measured by Lunar Prodigy dual x-ray absorptiometry with MRI and CT in older men. International Journal of Obesity 2016; epub Mar 22. [80%, CAS=PhD, dRC=SS, GEJ=PhD, HEJ=PhD].
- Sinclair M, Gow PJ, Angus PW, Hoermann R, Handelsman DJ, Wittert GA, Martin S Grossmann M. High circulating estrone and low testosterone correlate with adverse clinical outcomes in men with advanced liver disease. Liver International 2016; epub Mar 21 [50%, SM=PhDc].
- Davey RA, Grossmann M. Androgen receptor structure, function and biology: from bench to bedside. The Clinical Biochemist Reviews 2016; 37:3-15 [40%].
- Sinclair M, Gow PJ, Grossmann M, Angus PW. Sarcopenia in cirrhosis-aetiology, implications and potential therapeutic interventions. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 2016; 43:765-77 [20%, SM=PhDc].
- Sinclair M, Grossmann M, Angus PW, Hey P, Hoermann R, Scodellaro T, Gow PJ. Low testosterone is a better predictor of mortality than sarcopenia in men with advanced liver disease. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2016; 31:661-667 [30%, SM=PhDc].
- de Rooy C, Grossmann M, Zajac JD, Cheung AS. Targeting muscle signaling pathways to minimize adverse effects of androgen deprivation. Endocrine-Related Cancer 2016; 23:R15-26. [40%, dRC=SS, CAS=PhD].
- Tint AN, Hoermann R, Wong H, Ekinci EI, MacIsaac RJ, Jerums G, Zajac JD, Grossmann M. Association of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin and Free Testosterone with Mortality in Men with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. European Journal of Endocrinology 2016; 174:59-68. [70%, TAN=Clin, WH=Clin].
- Gianatti EJ, Hoermann R, Lam Q, Dupuis P, Zajac JD, Grossmann M. Effect of testosterone treatment on cardiac biomarkers in a randomised controlled trial of men with type 2 diabetes. Clinical Endocrinology (Oxf) 2016; 84:55-62 [50%, GEJ=PhD, DP=PF].
For a full list of publications, please visit A/Prof Mathis Grossmann's Research Profile.
This Research Group doesn't currently have any projects
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact A/Prof Mathis Grossmann, MD, PhD, FRACP