Development of novel neuroimaging biomarkers in neurological diseases
There is presently a paradigm shift in the way in which patients with neurological diseases (such as Brain Tumours, Stroke and Epilepsy and Dementia) are treated. Old methods are being replaced by individualised patient management protocols using spatially, molecularly and genetically targeted therapies. Similarly, there is also currently a paradigm shift occurring in the field of Neuroimaging. Imaging Biomarkers are being developed to image biological, molecular and functional targets of interest to neuroscientists and clinicians. With this in mind The Brain Imaging Laboratory is currently works closely with clinicians to better understand and predict patient disease and response to treatment. Imaging techniques being studied are : Structural imaging, Functional Diffusion Mapping, Diffusion Tensor Imaging, Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and Perfusion MRI, functional MRI.
- Professor Patricia Desmond
- Professor Nicola Lautenschlager
- Dr Christopher Seward
- Associate Professor Cassandra Szoeke
- Associate Professor Peter Mitchell
- Associate Professor Richard Dowling
- Professor Stephen Davis
- Associate Professor Bruce Campbell
- Dr Nawaf Yassi
- Dr Andrew Morokoff
- Professor Roger Ordidge
- Professor Terry O'Brien
- Professor Colin Masters
- Dr Sandy Shultz
- Professor Ashley Bush
- Dr Elaine Lui
- Associate Professor Frank Gaillard
- Dr Diane Pascoe
- AIBL Active Group (National Ageing Research Institute) Nicola Lautenschlager, Patricia Desmond, Elizabeth Cyarto, Kay Cox, Kathryn Ellis.
- EXTEND Campbell BC, Mitchell PJ, Kleinig TJ, Dewey HM, Churilov L, Yassi N, Yan B, Dowling RJ, Parsons MW, Oxley TJ, Wu TY, Brooks M, Simpson MA, Miteff F, Levi CR, Krause M, Harrington TJ, Faulder KC, Steinfort BS, Priglinger M, Ang T, Scroop R, Barber PA, McGuinness B, Wijeratne T, Phan TG, Chong W, Chandra RV, Bladin CF, Badve M, Rice H, de Villiers L, Ma H, Desmond PM, Donnan GA, Davis SM.
- TBI Sandy Schultz, Terry O'Brien, Patricia Desmond, John Cleary, Roger Ordidge Trevor Kilpatrick.
National Health and Medical Research Council Grants:
- Brain iron imaging for Alzheimer’s disease (AIBL-ADIRON study) 2016-2021 ($1,227,884.65) App ID:1101533, Bush A, Maruff, P, Villemagne V, Ordidge R, Salvado O, Desmond P, Ayton S.
- Tenecteplase versus Alteplase for Stroke Thrombolysis Evaluation (TASTE) trial $3,989,897.50 APP ID 1079696, 2015-2020 M Parsons, C Levi, P McElduff, R Lindley, P Desmond, G Albers, W Hacke, H Markus, B Campbell, T Phan.
- A randomised clinical trial of physical activity to delay the progression of cerebrovascular pathology, $632152.80 2010-2013 NT Lautenschlager, P Desmond, K Cox, D Ames, C Szoeke, O Salvado, M Sharman, K Ellis, P Phal, C Masters, C, Rowe, R Martins, M Collins.
- Merkel, B., Steward, C., Vivash, L., Malpas, C.B., Phal, P., Moffat, B.A., Cox, K.L., Ellis, K.A., Ames, D.J., Cyarto, E.V., Lai, M.M.Y., Sharman, M.J., Szoeke, C., Masters, C.L., Lautenschlager, N.T., Desmond, P. (2015) Semi-automated Hippocampal Segmentation in People With Cognitive Impairment Using an Age Appropriate Template for Registration. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging, 42:1631-1638.
- Yassi N, Campbell BC, Moffat BA, Steward C Churilov L, Parsons MW, Donnan GA, Desmond PM, Davis SM, Bivard A. Association between baseline peri-infarct magnetic resonance spectroscopy and regional white matter after stroke. Neuroradiology 2015 Sept 16 (epub ahead of print)
- Campbell BC, Mitchell PJ, Kleinig TJ, Dewey HM, Churilov L, Yassi N, Yan B, Dowling RJ, Parsons MW, Oxley TJ, Wu TY, Brooks M, Simpson MA, Miteff F, Levi CR, Krause M, Harrington TJ, Faulder KC, Steinfort BS, Priglinger M, Ang T, Scroop R, Barber PA, McGuinness B, Wijeratne T, Phan TG, Chong W, Chandra RV, Bladin CF, Badve M, Rice H, de Villiers L, Ma H, Desmond PM, Donnan GA, Davis SM; EXTEND-IA Investigators. Endovascular therapy for ischemic stroke with perfusion imaging selection NEngl J Med. 2015 Mar 12;372(11):1009-18
- Genc S; Steward CE; Malpas CB; Velakoulis D; O'Brien TJ; DesmondPM, Journal Of Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Short term white matter alterations in Alzheimers disease characterized by diffusion tensor imaging.JMRI [J MagnReson Imaging], ISSN: 1522-2586, 2016 Mar; Vol. 43 (3), pp. 627-34
- Oxley TJ; Opie NL; John SE; Rind GS; Ronayne SM; Wheeler TL; Judy JW; McDonald AJ; Dornom A; Lovell TJ; Steward C; Garrett DJ; Moffat BA; Lui EH; Yassi N; Campbell BC; Wong YT; Fox KE; Nurse ES; Bennett IE; Bauquier SH; Liyanage KA; van der Nagel NR; Perucca P; Ahnood A; Gill KP; Yan B; Churilov L; French CR; DesmondPM; Horne MK; Kiers L; Prawer S; Davis SM; Burkitt AN; Mitchell PJ; Grayden DB; May CN; O'Brien TJ, Minimally invasive endovascular stent-electrode array for high fidelity, chronic recordings of cortical neural activity. Nature Biotechnology [Nat Biotechnol], ISSN: 1546-1696, 2016 Mar; Vol. 34 (3), pp. 320-7
- Malpas CB, Saling MM, Velakoulis D, Desmond P, O'Brien TJ.Differential functional connectivity correlates of cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers in dementia of the Alzheimers type. Neurodegener Dis. 2016;16(3-4):147-51. doi: 10.1159/000438924. Epub 2015 Nov 27.