Longitudinal effect of physical activity on cortical thickness in people at risk of dementia
Dementia is a leading cause of death, accounting for 6% of all deaths in 2010. Despite these already high and increasing prevalence rates, there is no curative treatment for dementia. Therefore the identification of individuals who are at increased risk of dementia and the implementation of preventive interventions is necessary until a treatment is found. . More recently a growing body of literature is focusing whether physical activity could also have a positive impact on brain ageing with exploring healthy brain ageing as well as on cognitive impairment and dementia.
Increasingly research into underlying mechanisms in relation to physical activity and brain ageing identify biomarker candidates with especially neuroimaging measurements being more used in trials with humans. In this study, we look at one such biomarker of cortical thickness as a measure of brain plasticity and effect of physical activity over 2 years period in participants at risk of dementia.
- Professor Patricia Desmond
- Professor Nicola Lautenschlager
- Dr Christopher Seward
- Associate Professor Cassandra Szoeke
- Associate Professor Peter Mitchell
- Associate Professor Richard Dowling
- Professor Stephen Davis
- Associate Professor Bruce Campbell
- Dr Nawaf Yassi
- Dr Andrew Morokoff
- Professor Roger Ordidge
- Professor Terry O'Brien
- Professor Colin Masters
- Dr Sandy Shultz
- Professor Ashley Bush
- Dr Elaine Lui
- Associate Professor Frank Gaillard
- Dr Diane Pascoe
- AIBL Active Group (National Ageing Research Institute) Nicola Lautenschlager, Patricia Desmond, Elizabeth Cyarto, Kay Cox, Kathryn Ellis.
- EXTEND Campbell BC, Mitchell PJ, Kleinig TJ, Dewey HM, Churilov L, Yassi N, Yan B, Dowling RJ, Parsons MW, Oxley TJ, Wu TY, Brooks M, Simpson MA, Miteff F, Levi CR, Krause M, Harrington TJ, Faulder KC, Steinfort BS, Priglinger M, Ang T, Scroop R, Barber PA, McGuinness B, Wijeratne T, Phan TG, Chong W, Chandra RV, Bladin CF, Badve M, Rice H, de Villiers L, Ma H, Desmond PM, Donnan GA, Davis SM.
- TBI Sandy Schultz, Terry O'Brien, Patricia Desmond, John Cleary, Roger Ordidge Trevor Kilpatrick.
National Health and Medical Research Council Grants:
- Brain iron imaging for Alzheimer’s disease (AIBL-ADIRON study) 2016-2021 ($1,227,884.65) App ID:1101533, Bush A, Maruff, P, Villemagne V, Ordidge R, Salvado O, Desmond P, Ayton S.
- Tenecteplase versus Alteplase for Stroke Thrombolysis Evaluation (TASTE) trial $3,989,897.50 APP ID 1079696, 2015-2020 M Parsons, C Levi, P McElduff, R Lindley, P Desmond, G Albers, W Hacke, H Markus, B Campbell, T Phan.
- A randomised clinical trial of physical activity to delay the progression of cerebrovascular pathology, $632152.80 2010-2013 NT Lautenschlager, P Desmond, K Cox, D Ames, C Szoeke, O Salvado, M Sharman, K Ellis, P Phal, C Masters, C, Rowe, R Martins, M Collins.
This research project is available to PhD students to join as part of their thesis.
Please contact the Research Group Leader to discuss your options.
- Merkel, B., Steward, C., Vivash, L., Malpas, C.B., Phal, P., Moffat, B.A., Cox, K.L., Ellis, K.A., Ames, D.J., Cyarto, E.V., Lai, M.M.Y., Sharman, M.J., Szoeke, C., Masters, C.L., Lautenschlager, N.T., Desmond, P. (2015) Semi-automated Hippocampal Segmentation in People With Cognitive Impairment Using an Age Appropriate Template for Registration. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging, 42:1631-1638.
- Yassi N, Campbell BC, Moffat BA, Steward C Churilov L, Parsons MW, Donnan GA, Desmond PM, Davis SM, Bivard A. Association between baseline peri-infarct magnetic resonance spectroscopy and regional white matter after stroke. Neuroradiology 2015 Sept 16 (epub ahead of print)
- Campbell BC, Mitchell PJ, Kleinig TJ, Dewey HM, Churilov L, Yassi N, Yan B, Dowling RJ, Parsons MW, Oxley TJ, Wu TY, Brooks M, Simpson MA, Miteff F, Levi CR, Krause M, Harrington TJ, Faulder KC, Steinfort BS, Priglinger M, Ang T, Scroop R, Barber PA, McGuinness B, Wijeratne T, Phan TG, Chong W, Chandra RV, Bladin CF, Badve M, Rice H, de Villiers L, Ma H, Desmond PM, Donnan GA, Davis SM; EXTEND-IA Investigators. Endovascular therapy for ischemic stroke with perfusion imaging selection NEngl J Med. 2015 Mar 12;372(11):1009-18
- Genc S; Steward CE; Malpas CB; Velakoulis D; O'Brien TJ; DesmondPM, Journal Of Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Short term white matter alterations in Alzheimers disease characterized by diffusion tensor imaging.JMRI [J MagnReson Imaging], ISSN: 1522-2586, 2016 Mar; Vol. 43 (3), pp. 627-34
- Oxley TJ; Opie NL; John SE; Rind GS; Ronayne SM; Wheeler TL; Judy JW; McDonald AJ; Dornom A; Lovell TJ; Steward C; Garrett DJ; Moffat BA; Lui EH; Yassi N; Campbell BC; Wong YT; Fox KE; Nurse ES; Bennett IE; Bauquier SH; Liyanage KA; van der Nagel NR; Perucca P; Ahnood A; Gill KP; Yan B; Churilov L; French CR; DesmondPM; Horne MK; Kiers L; Prawer S; Davis SM; Burkitt AN; Mitchell PJ; Grayden DB; May CN; O'Brien TJ, Minimally invasive endovascular stent-electrode array for high fidelity, chronic recordings of cortical neural activity. Nature Biotechnology [Nat Biotechnol], ISSN: 1546-1696, 2016 Mar; Vol. 34 (3), pp. 320-7
- Malpas CB, Saling MM, Velakoulis D, Desmond P, O'Brien TJ.Differential functional connectivity correlates of cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers in dementia of the Alzheimers type. Neurodegener Dis. 2016;16(3-4):147-51. doi: 10.1159/000438924. Epub 2015 Nov 27.