Traumatic brain injury
Brain concussion, a common form of mild traumatic brain injury is a serious medical and societal issue. Of particular concerns are individuals who are at high risk of suffering multiple concussions, such as athletes playing collision sports because repeated concussion may contribute to chronic neurological impairments and neurodengerative disease. There is evidence that the long term adverse effects of repeated concussion are due to the recurring insults occurring before the brain has recovered from the initial concussion and is in a period of increased cerebal vulnerability. Curently there are no reliable markers that indicate when the brain is no longer in this state of vulnerabiltiy but the idenfication of such biomarkers would allow them to be used to guide medical decisions, so as to mitigate the effects of repeated concussion.
- Professor Patricia Desmond
- Professor Nicola Lautenschlager
- Dr Christopher Seward
- Associate Professor Cassandra Szoeke
- Associate Professor Peter Mitchell
- Associate Professor Richard Dowling
- Professor Stephen Davis
- Associate Professor Bruce Campbell
- Dr Nawaf Yassi
- Dr Andrew Morokoff
- Professor Roger Ordidge
- Professor Terry O'Brien
- Professor Colin Masters
- Dr Sandy Shultz
- Professor Ashley Bush
- Dr Elaine Lui
- Associate Professor Frank Gaillard
- Dr Diane Pascoe
- AIBL Active Group (National Ageing Research Institute) Nicola Lautenschlager, Patricia Desmond, Elizabeth Cyarto, Kay Cox, Kathryn Ellis.
- EXTEND Campbell BC, Mitchell PJ, Kleinig TJ, Dewey HM, Churilov L, Yassi N, Yan B, Dowling RJ, Parsons MW, Oxley TJ, Wu TY, Brooks M, Simpson MA, Miteff F, Levi CR, Krause M, Harrington TJ, Faulder KC, Steinfort BS, Priglinger M, Ang T, Scroop R, Barber PA, McGuinness B, Wijeratne T, Phan TG, Chong W, Chandra RV, Bladin CF, Badve M, Rice H, de Villiers L, Ma H, Desmond PM, Donnan GA, Davis SM.
- TBI Sandy Schultz, Terry O'Brien, Patricia Desmond, John Cleary, Roger Ordidge Trevor Kilpatrick.
National Health and Medical Research Council Grants:
- Brain iron imaging for Alzheimer’s disease (AIBL-ADIRON study) 2016-2021 ($1,227,884.65) App ID:1101533, Bush A, Maruff, P, Villemagne V, Ordidge R, Salvado O, Desmond P, Ayton S.
- Tenecteplase versus Alteplase for Stroke Thrombolysis Evaluation (TASTE) trial $3,989,897.50 APP ID 1079696, 2015-2020 M Parsons, C Levi, P McElduff, R Lindley, P Desmond, G Albers, W Hacke, H Markus, B Campbell, T Phan.
- A randomised clinical trial of physical activity to delay the progression of cerebrovascular pathology, $632152.80 2010-2013 NT Lautenschlager, P Desmond, K Cox, D Ames, C Szoeke, O Salvado, M Sharman, K Ellis, P Phal, C Masters, C, Rowe, R Martins, M Collins.
- Merkel, B., Steward, C., Vivash, L., Malpas, C.B., Phal, P., Moffat, B.A., Cox, K.L., Ellis, K.A., Ames, D.J., Cyarto, E.V., Lai, M.M.Y., Sharman, M.J., Szoeke, C., Masters, C.L., Lautenschlager, N.T., Desmond, P. (2015) Semi-automated Hippocampal Segmentation in People With Cognitive Impairment Using an Age Appropriate Template for Registration. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging, 42:1631-1638.
- Yassi N, Campbell BC, Moffat BA, Steward C Churilov L, Parsons MW, Donnan GA, Desmond PM, Davis SM, Bivard A. Association between baseline peri-infarct magnetic resonance spectroscopy and regional white matter after stroke. Neuroradiology 2015 Sept 16 (epub ahead of print)
- Campbell BC, Mitchell PJ, Kleinig TJ, Dewey HM, Churilov L, Yassi N, Yan B, Dowling RJ, Parsons MW, Oxley TJ, Wu TY, Brooks M, Simpson MA, Miteff F, Levi CR, Krause M, Harrington TJ, Faulder KC, Steinfort BS, Priglinger M, Ang T, Scroop R, Barber PA, McGuinness B, Wijeratne T, Phan TG, Chong W, Chandra RV, Bladin CF, Badve M, Rice H, de Villiers L, Ma H, Desmond PM, Donnan GA, Davis SM; EXTEND-IA Investigators. Endovascular therapy for ischemic stroke with perfusion imaging selection NEngl J Med. 2015 Mar 12;372(11):1009-18
- Genc S; Steward CE; Malpas CB; Velakoulis D; O'Brien TJ; DesmondPM, Journal Of Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Short term white matter alterations in Alzheimers disease characterized by diffusion tensor imaging.JMRI [J MagnReson Imaging], ISSN: 1522-2586, 2016 Mar; Vol. 43 (3), pp. 627-34
- Oxley TJ; Opie NL; John SE; Rind GS; Ronayne SM; Wheeler TL; Judy JW; McDonald AJ; Dornom A; Lovell TJ; Steward C; Garrett DJ; Moffat BA; Lui EH; Yassi N; Campbell BC; Wong YT; Fox KE; Nurse ES; Bennett IE; Bauquier SH; Liyanage KA; van der Nagel NR; Perucca P; Ahnood A; Gill KP; Yan B; Churilov L; French CR; DesmondPM; Horne MK; Kiers L; Prawer S; Davis SM; Burkitt AN; Mitchell PJ; Grayden DB; May CN; O'Brien TJ, Minimally invasive endovascular stent-electrode array for high fidelity, chronic recordings of cortical neural activity. Nature Biotechnology [Nat Biotechnol], ISSN: 1546-1696, 2016 Mar; Vol. 34 (3), pp. 320-7
- Malpas CB, Saling MM, Velakoulis D, Desmond P, O'Brien TJ.Differential functional connectivity correlates of cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers in dementia of the Alzheimers type. Neurodegener Dis. 2016;16(3-4):147-51. doi: 10.1159/000438924. Epub 2015 Nov 27.