The Health Outcomes Research Group seeks to understand the outcomes and end results of medical care – the effect of the health care process on the health and well-being of patients and populations. It focuses on the spectrum of chronic disease from diagnosis to the end of life, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, inflammatory and degenerative joint disease and infectious diseases. The Group also has a focus on improving the methods that underpin health services research.
- Dr Sara Vogrin, Biostatistician
- Abishek Easwaran, Research Assistant
- Billy Nguyen, Administrative Officer
- Associate Professor Jennifer Philip and Professor Peter Hudson, Centre for Palliative Care, St Vincent's Hospital and University of Melbourne
- Associate Professor Andrew MacIssac, Department of Cardiology, St Vincent's Hospital
- Associate Professor Jongsay Yong and Professor Anthony Scott, Melbourne Institute for Applied Economic and Social Research
- Professor Richard Harper, Monash Heart
- Associate Professor Dominique Cadilhac, Translational Public Health and Evaluation Division, Stroke and Ageing Research, Department of Medicine, Monash University
- Professors Hude Quan and William Ghali, University of Calgary
- Chief Investigator, NHMRC Project Grant # 1058438. Maximum Acceptable Risk of complication in total Knee Arthroplasty (MARKA) Study: Using discreet choice experiments to elicit patient and surgeon perception of acceptable risk in Total Knee Arthroplasty. (2014-2017)
- Chief Investigator, NHMRC Project Grant # 1066536. Determinants of sustained virological response after discontinuation of long-term nucleoside analogue therapy in chronic hepatitis B patients. (2014-2017)
- Chief Investigator, BUPA. Clinical decision-making in the appropriate use of coronary artery angiography. (2015-2016)
- Chief Investigator, Victorian Cancer Agency. A Phase 2 study to examine feasibility of Routine, Early Palliative Care (REP Care) for patients with Advanced Cancer. (2016-2018)
- Chief Investigator, Faculty of Business and Economics and Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Science Collaborative Research Seed-Funding Scheme. An investigation of the appropriate and inappropriate use of coronary angiography for coronary artery disease. (2016)
- Associate Investigator/Mentor to Early Career Researcher Ms. Anna Collins. Victorian Cancer Agency Early Career Seed Grants. Defining evidence-based transition points to palliative care for people with advanced cancer and their family caregivers. (2015-2016)
- Associate Investigator/Mentor to Mr. Mark Tran. St. Vincent’s Research Endowment Fund. Does Independent Community Gym Participation Improve Health Outcomes for People with Chronic Disease? (2016)
- Sundararajan V, Romano PS, Quan H, Burnand B, Drosler SE, Brien S, et al. Capturing diagnosis-timing in ICD-coded hospital data: recommendations from the WHO ICD-11 topic advisory group on quality and safety. International journal for quality in health care : journal of the International Society for Quality in Health Care / ISQua. 2015;27(4):328-33.
- Philip J, Hudson P, Bostanci A, …,Sundararajan V. Metastatic non-small cell lung cancer: a benchmark for quality end-of-life cancer care? The Medical journal of Australia. 2015;202(3):139-43. Role: senior author; Involvement in publication: 50%; Citations: 1.
- Harper RW, Nasis A, Sundararajan V. How changes to the Medicare Benefits Schedule could improve the practice of cardiology and save taxpayer money. The Medical journal of Australia. 2015;203(6):256-8. Role: senior author; Involvement in publication: 40%; Citations: 0.
- Sundararajan V, Thrift AG, Phan TG, Choi PM, Clissold B, Srikanth VK. Trends over time in the risk of stroke after an incident transient ischemic attack. Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation. 2014;45(11):3214-8.
- Sundararajan V, Bohensky MA, Moore G, Brand CA, Lethborg C, Gold M, et al. Mapping the patterns of care, the receipt of palliative care and the site of death for patients with malignant glioma. Journal of neuro-oncology. 2014;116(1):119-26.
- McQuilten ZK, Wood EM, Polizzotto MN, …,Sundararajan V. Underestimation of myelodysplastic syndrome incidence by cancer registries: Results from a population-based data linkage study. Cancer. 2014.