Huntington's Disease Research Group
The University of Melbourne Huntington’s Disease Research Group was established by Emeritus Professor Edmond Chiu in 1989. The team, led by Dr Anita Goh, is active in conducting national and international research into improving the quality of life of families affected by HD.
Our research studies focus on:
- potential genetic discrimination against those affected by HD, and the possibility of enacting law reform to address this discrimination in Victoria.
- behavioural and psychological symptoms of HD
- international collaborative prospective HD research to monitor how the disease appears and changes over time in different people.
- clinical trials with new medications or lifestyle interventions.
Our group aims to support the HD community through research and knowledge translation, and through a focus on personal communication and a genuine interest in families with HD.
- Dr Anita Goh, Head of Research Group
- Professor Emeritus Edmond Chiu
- Professor David Ames
- Professor Nicola Lautenschlager
- Dr Samantha Loi
- Dr Terence Chong
- Stephanie Perin Research Assistant
- Huntington's Research Group Victoria
- LaTrobe University
- Law Faculty, The University of Melbourne
- Legal Services Board
- Huntington's Study Group (HSG), USA
- University of Iowa
- University of Rochester
- Indiana University
- Ulm University, Germany
- Coriell Medical Research Institute
- European Huntington's Disease Network
- 2015. Enroll-HD. Sponsor: CHDI
- 2014-2015. Pride-HD: A Phase 2, Dose-Finding, Randomized, Parallel-Group, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study Evaluating the Safety and Efficacy of Pridopidine 45 mg, 67.5 mg, 90 mg, and112.5 mg Twice-Daily versus Placebo for Symptomatic Treatment in Patients with Huntington’s Disease. Sponsor: Teva Branded Pharmaceutical Products R&D.
- 2014 – 2015. An Open-Label, Long Term Safety Study of SD-809 ER in Participants with Chorea Associated with Huntington Disease’ (ARC-HD). Auspex Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- 2012 – 2014 . A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to assess the safety and tolerability, and efficacy of PBT2 in patients with early to mid-stage Huntington’s disease (REACH2HD). Sponsor: Prana Biotech.
- 2007 – 2014. Neurobiological Predictors of Huntington’s Disease (PREDICT-HD). Sponsor: National Institutes of Health, USA; CHDI Foundation.
- 2009 – 2011. Phase 3 Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Safety and Efficacy Study of Dimebon in Patients with Mild-to-Moderate Huntington’s Disease (HORIZON)- Medication/ Pfizer
- 2012. The Jack Brockhoff Foundation Medical Research Grant: Tongue pressures, speech and swallowing function in people with Huntington’s disease.
2009 – 2012. The Functional Rating Scale Taskforce for pre-HD (FuRST-pHD). CHDI Foundation