Acute Based Psychiatric Care
Co-led by Professor Christos Pantelis and Dr Mahesh Jayaram, this group is interested in researching best practice interventions for preventing relapse in schizophrenia which include text messaging and other mobile device platforms as well as manualised interventions. Other areas of interest include developing novel drug treatments for schizophrenia, particularly evaluating the efficay and neurobiological effects of cannabidiol as an augmenting agent for the treatment of chronic psychosis. The group is also working on strategies for reducing non-attendance rates in outpatient clinics, reducing physical health morbidity in serious mental illness patients and helping develop research interests amongst psychiatrists in developing countries across Asia and Africa. A more recent development has been the evaluaiton of social media and its impact on healthcare information dissemination.
The group has authored numerous Cochrane and non-Cochrane systematic reviews and meta-analyses and has a special interest in evaluating efficacy of atypical antipsychotics. A goal is to develop new technologies to enable automation in conducting systematic reviews.
- Professor Mal Hopwood (Albert Road Clinic, University of Melbourne)
- A/Professor Nadia Solowij (University of Wollongong)
- Professor Clive Adams (University of Nottingham, UK)
- Ms Jun Xia (University of Nottingham and SRS China)
- Professor Maritta Välimäki (University of Turku, Finland)
- Institute for Safety, Compensation and Recovery Research
This research project is available to PhD students to join as part of their thesis.
Please contact the Research Group Leader to discuss your options.
- Zhao, S., Sampson, S., Xia, J. & Jayaram, M. B. 2015. Psychoeducation (brief) for people with serious mental illness. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 4, CD010823.
- Lacey, M. & Jayaram, M. B. 2015. Zuclopenthixol versus placebo for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 12, CD010598.
- Singh, j., Kour, K. & Jayaram, M. B. 2012. Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 1, CD007967.
- Rattehalli, R. D., Jayaram, M. B. & Smith, M. 2010. Risperidone versus placebo for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, CD006918.
- Sivaraman, p., rattehalli, r. d. & jayaram, m. b. 2010. Levomepromazine for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, CD007779.
- Jayaram, M. B. & Hosalli, P. 2005. Risperidone versus olanzapine for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, CD005237.
- Jayaram, M. B., Hosalli, P. & Stroup, S. 2006. Risperidone versus olanzapine for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, CD005237.