Since its inception, MNC has published over 1000+ peer-reviewed journal articles (25,200 total citations). Over half of these publications (550+) have occurred in the last 5 years. Highlights include:
Psychosis and Developmental Neuropsychiatry Group
Group leader: Prof Christos Pantelis, MB BS, MD (Melb), Hon MD (Athens), MRCPsych, FRANZCP
- Schizophrenia Working Group of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium. (2014). Biological insights from 108 schizophrenia-associated genetic loci. Nature 511 (7510), 421-427.
- Fornito et al. (2012). Schizophrenia, neuroimaging and connectomics. Neuroimage 62 (4), 2296-2314.
- Bora et al. (2012). Gray matter abnormalities in major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis of voxel based morphometry studies. Journal of Affective Disorders 138 (1), 9-18.
- Yücel et al. (2012). The impact of cannabis use on cognitive functioning in patients with schizophrenia: a meta-analysis of existing findings and new data in a first-episode sample. Schizophrenia Bulletin 38 (2), 316-330.
- Skafidis, Testa, Zantomio, Chana, Everall, Pantelis (2014). Predicting the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder using gene pathway analysis. Molecular Psychiatry 19, 504-510.
Clinical Neuropsychiatry Group
Group leader: Prof. Dennis Velakoulis, MBBS, Dip Crim, FRANZCP, MMed, DMed Sci
- Dazan et al. (2012). Volumetric abnormalities predating the onset of schizophrenia and affective psychoses: An MRI study in subjects at ultrahigh risk of psychosis Schizophrenia Bulletin 38, 1083-1091.
- Linberg et al. (2012). Hippocampal shape analysis in Alzheimer's disease and frontotemporal lobar degeneration subtypes. Journal of Alzheimers Disease 30, 355-365.
- Berger et al. (2012). Neuroprotective effects of low-dose lithium in individuals at ultra-high risk for psychosis. a longitudinal MRI/MRS study. Current Pharmaceutical Design 18, 570-57.
- Bora et al. (2015). Theory of mind in behavioural-variant frontotemporal dementia and Alzheimer's disease: A meta-analysis. Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 86, 714-719.
- Solowij et al. (2013). Alteration to hippocampal shape in cannabis users with and without schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 143, 179-184.
Depression & Anxiety Neuroscience Group
Group leader: A/Prof. Ben Harrison, PhD.
- Davey CG, Pujol J, Breakspear M, Harrison BJ. A brain model of disturbed self appraisal in depression. The American Journal of Psychiatry. In Press.
- Fullana, M.A., Harrison, B.J., et al. 2016. Neural signatures of human fear conditioning: an updated and extended meta-analysis of fMRI studies. Molecular Psychiatry 21, 500-508.
- Schmaal, L., et al. 2016. Cortical abnormalities in adults and adolescents with major depression based on brain scans from 20 cohorts worldwide in the ENIGMA Major Depressive Disorder Working Group. Molecular Psychiatry. In Press.
- Harrison, B.J., et al. 2013. Brain corticostriatal systems and the major clinical symptom dimensions of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Biological Psychiatry 73, 321-328.
- Fornito, A., Harrison, B.J., Zalesky, A., Simons, J.S., 2012. Competitive and cooperative dynamics of large-scale brain functional networks supporting recollection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109, 12788-12793.
Social and Affective NeuroDevelopment Group
Group leader: A/Prof. Sarah Whittle, PhD
- Richmond, Johnson, Seal, Allen and Whittle. (2016). Development of brain networks and relevance of environmental and genetic factors: A systematic review. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews 71, 215-239.
- Vijayakimar, Allen, Youssef, Dennison, Yucel, Simmons, Whittle. (2016). Brain development during adolescence: a mixed-longitudinal investigation of cortical thickness, surface area, and volume. Human Brain Mapping 36(7), 2027–2038.
- Whittle et al. (2014). Structural brain development and depression onset during adolescence: a longitudinal, prospective study. The American Journal of Psychiatry 171(5): 564-571.
- Whittle et al. (2013). Childhood maltreatment and psychopathology affect brain development during adolescence. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry I52: 940-952.
- Cheetham et al. (2012). Orbitofrontal Volumes in Early Adolescence Predict Initiation of Cannabis Use: A 4-Year Longitudinal and Prospective Study. Biological Psychiatry 71(8): 684-92.
Systems Neuropsychiatry Group
Group leader: Dr Andrew Zalesky, PhD.
- Fornito A, Zalesky A, Bullmore E. (2016). Fundamentals of Brain Network Analysis, Academic Press (Elsevier). 450+ page authored textbook. Resides in top-10% most read neuroscience books published by Elsevier in 2016.
- Zalesky A et al., (2014). Time-resolved resting-state brain networks. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111, 10341-10346.
- Zalesky A et al., (2012). Effects of long term cannabis use on axonal fibre connectivity. Brain 135, 2245-2255.
- Fornito A, Zalesky A, Breakspear M. (2015). The connectomics of brain disorders. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 16, 159-172.
- Zalesky A et al., (2015). Delayed development of brain connectivity in adolescents with schizophrenia and their unaffected siblings. JAMA Psychiatry 72; 900-908.
Gene-Environment Neuropsychiatry Group
Group leader: Dr Chad Bousman, MPH, PhD
- Liu, Bousman et al. (2017). Pathway-wide association study identifies five shared pathways associated with schizophrenia in three ancestral distinct populations. Translational Psychiatry 7(2), e1037.
- Bousman et al. (2017). Polygenic phenotypic plasticity moderates the effects of severe childhood abuse on depressive symptom severity in adulthood: A 5-year prospective cohort study. The World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, 18(1): 75-81.
- Bousman and Hopwood. (2016). Commercial pharmacogenetic-based decision support tools in psychiatry. The Lancet Psychiatry, 3(6): 585-90.
- Bousman et al. (2013). Effects of NRG1 and DAOA genetic variation on transition to psychosis in individuals at ultra-high risk for psychosis. Translational Psychiatry, 3(4), e251.
- Singh, Bousman, et al. (2012). ABCB1 Polymorphism Predicts Escitalopram Dose Needed for Remission in Major Depression. Translational Psychiatry, 2(11), e198.