Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH) Clinical School
RMH is a tertiary teaching referral hospital providing specialist and general medical and surgical services, including cardiac, neuroscience, endocrinology, gastroenterology, rheumatology, infectious diseases, dermatology and oncology, as well providing a major trauma service and Victorian Infectious Diseases Service.
Students at the RMH Clinical School have the opportunity to learn about clinical practice and research including: endocrinology, neuroscience, neuropharmacology, infectious diseases, rheumatology, cardiology, surgery, cancer biology and treatment, trauma, medical imaging, clinical epidemiology and psychiatry.
They also have the opportunity to work alongside leading University of Melbourne clinicians and scientists.
- RMH is co-located with the new Women’s Hospital
- The hospital is home to a number of state-wide referral services including the Victorian Infectious Disease Service (VIDS) and the Melbourne Neuropsychiatry Centre
- RMH Royal Park Campus offers services such as the Wound Management Clinic, Amputee Clinic and the Neurology Rehabilitation Clinic
- Surrounded by leading research institutes including the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute (WEHI), Melbourne Brain Centre and the soon to be completed Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre and Peter Doherty centre
- Students have access to a large and well-equipped student lounge, and a full range of IT facilities and amenities
- The Clinical School utilises the latest technologies, including interactive whiteboards, recording software and audience response systems
- Access to MEL, Melbourne Health’s Medical Education eLearning platform, providing access to valuable hospital resources unavailable elsewhere
Where is the RMH Clinical School located and how do I get there?
The RMH Clinical School is situated close to the University of Melbourne and the internationally renowned Parkville precinct. Parkville is one of the most highly concentrated precincts of biomedical research in the world. The hospital is just north of the CBD and is accessible via a variety of public transport.
Boasting beautiful parklands, sporting facilities and the famous Queen Victoria Market, Parkville is the perfect environment for a fulfilling student life. The area includes affordable student living right in the heart of the city and is close to outstanding restaurants, cafés and nightlife.
What can I expect to be doing day-to-day?
RMH students attend lectures and interactive seminars in large groups, and practise procedural and clinical skills in smaller groups. They rotate throughout the year to various units within the hospital where they have the opportunity to shadow doctors and speak with and examine patients.
RMH Clinical School fosters a culture of independence and discovery in line with the values of the Royal Melbourne Hospital. It is a perfect place for proactive and committed students to find the freedom to learn. To accompany this, the RMH Clinical School has one of the largest and most experienced staff pools, offering a reliable support base for any concerns students may have. The approachable and helpful nature of the RMH staff creates an outstanding supportive environment that guides our students through their course.
RMH is fantastic, I really love it. The staff are fantastic, the patients are great and really happy to have us and talk to us.
It’s very self-directed so that if you want to come in at 7 or 8 in the morning that’s great. I was up on the wards on the first day, and I love interacting with patients so that was fantastic. The staff have really tried to encourage us to have good inter-personal skills.
- Brigid Wolf - RMH Student