The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences is an extremely diverse faculty comprised of a number of schools, departments and centres with a proud history and a promising future.
The small size of the Department permits an intense focus on research and integration of research into practice. We are a research-led academic department in which an evidence base is implanted in all of our functions. We have robust research relationships with key health providers including Melbourne Health, the Royal Children's Hospital, Peter McCallum Cancer Centre and St Vincent's Hospital. The Department has a significant research profile and close local and national links with important human service and health agencies in the government and non government sectors, professional bodies and other major nursing departments internationally. We house the active and influential Centre for Psychiatric Nursing. The Department is recognised as a leader in nursing research and education in the Asia-Pacific region and internationally.
General Practice began as a Unit within the Department of Community Medicine in 1977 and in 2001 was established as a separate clinical department within the School of Medicine; Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences.
The Department was established in 2015 to continue the curriculum development success of the former Medical Education Unit (MEU) but with a broader focus on all aspects of Medical Education scholarship. With a central base at Parkville and academic activity at all of the Clinical Schools, we are working towards becoming a centre of excellence in the scholarly discipline of Medical Education.
Social Work, in the Melbourne School of Health Sciences, is a vibrant learning community which seeks to influence professional practice through high quality educational experiences for our students, the conduct of practice-based research and engagement.
Our findings seek to significantly influence global public health policy. We share this research and contribute to the community using a range of knowledge transfer activities.
The Department is embedded within some of the leading academic public hospitals in Australia, and the strong partnership with these hospitals is critical to the work of the Department.
What’s New in Diabetes?
What’s New in Diabetes? - Advanced
Managing your Type 1
- CourseResilience Tools for Clinicians During COVID-19
- CourseClinical ethics and COVID-19
- CourseCompassion Fatigue: The Cost of Caring
- CourseClinical Costing Fundamentals and Analyses
- CourseNeurological Rehabilitation eLearning
- CourseOsteosarcopenia: Preventing Falls and Fractures in Older Persons
- CourseMigraine Management for Practitioners
- CourseManagement of Obesity
The Department is based across seven campuses of the Melbourne Medical School, all at key hospital sites, as well as conducting academic activities in surgery at other hospitals.
- Course COVID-19 Lung and Cardiac Ultrasound
- Course Focused Cardiac Ultrasound Transthoracic Echocardiography Certification
- CourseAge-Related Macular Degeneration for Primary Eyecare Practitioners
- CourseUltrasound Guided Peripheral Venous Access
- Course3D Echocardiography
- CourseDeep Vein Thrombosis Ultrasound
- CourseUrinary Incontinence Management in Women
- CourseMedical Perfusion
- CourseTemporal Bone Dissection
- CoursePathway to Career Progression
- CourseUltrasound for Physiotherapists
- FUSEUltrasound Guided Peripheral Venous Access
- FUSECOVID-19 Lung Course
- FCU Transthoracic Echocardiography Certification
- CourseBasic TTE Online
- WorkshopUltrasound Simulation Education Brisbane
- Focused Cardiac UltrasoundTransoesophageal Echocardiography
- Focused Cardiac UltrasoundTransoesophageal Echocardiography Advanced
- Focused Cardiac UltrasoundTransthoracic Echocardiography
- Focused Cardiac UltrasoundTransthoracic Echocardiography Advanced
- Focused Cardiac UltrasoundPeri-Arrest
- Focused Ultrasound Simulation EducationLung and Gastric Ultrasound
- Focused Ultrasound Simulation EducationVascular Access
- Focused Ultrasound Simulation EducationInstitutional
- Lung Ultrasound for Nurses and Physiotherapists
- Lung and Sternal Ultrasound
The Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences teaches a broad range of veterinary, agricultural, food and biomedical sciences. We strive to be the pre-eminent veterinary and agricultural science Faculty in the Asia-Pacific region and the regional school of choice for veterinary and agricultural science students.
Psychology at the University of Melbourne has a long and distinguished history. The first paper set in Psychology was in February 1888 and the Department of Psychology was founded in 1946. The School's teaching is underpinned by excellence in research across a range of fields, including cognitive psychology and behavioural neuroscience, social and developmental psychology, clinical psychology and clinical neuropsychology, and quantitative psychology.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology has a strong research base with a history of significant competitive grant funding success from external, peer reviewed, grant awarding bodies. Particular areas of current research strength include maternal fetal medicine, neonatal paediatrics, women's health, andrology, gynaecological oncology and reproductive biology.