Admitted Thursday 21 November 1963, Heidelberg House for T&A’s, Dr
Pyman, missed out on the ice cream and confused by the distraught
parents and staff.
Six Years at the Austin & Repatriation campus (including Bendigo Base)
- Arrested for low flying at Bendigo,
- Assisted Ken Hardy with the work for the Liver Transplant Unit (hardly any swearing)
- Lurked and Learnt in Casualty aka Jim Baird,
- Worked as a student nurse at Repat Heidelberg with the WWII diggers,
- Awarded the golden needle award for successful aspiration of pericardial effusion,
- Appendectomy on the Thursday evening before Forensic Exam by Unit Surgeon but still passed the exam.
- MICA inspiration for QAS Paramedic Programme and ASM summer jobs, led eventually to 56 Major International SportingEvents,
- Coached by David Fletcher and Gerard Sormann (now a patient),
- Treated for Depression by Graham Burrows after marital failure; the medication was worse than the disease,
- Multiple Social Events,
- Hardly any fraternisation,
- Final Pay withheld due 167 outstanding Discharge Summaries
Admitted Monday 8 July 1986 to the Spinal Ward (the old TB wards)
after MVA en route to Hamilton Base (Anaesthetic Registrar) with
multiple fractures including pelvis and paraplegia. Brilliant surgery from
John O’Brien, my previous boss.
I wish the Clinical School all the best for the next 50 years and hope
that their Alumni enjoy their medicine as much as I still do, fortified by
the humour and catholic experience offered.
Dr Richard Heath FRACGP
Class of 1983