Sexual and Reproductive Health in Adolescence
Professor Meredith Temple-Smith
03 8344 3371
Sexual health and well-being are important aspects of the transition to healthy adulthood.
This area of research seeks to improve our understanding of the ways in which young people and health practitioners interact around the sensitive areas of sex and reproduction. In a variety of small qualitative studies, often undertaken with the assistance of students, we have explored many aspects of importance to sexual and reproductive health development such as:
- Discussing sexual health: The perspectives of young men and GPs
- Young men’s views of condoms
- Contraceptive choice for young women
- Sexting, hooking-up and pornography
- Vulval anatomy: what is normal? The perspectives of young women and health practitioners
- Contraceptive and reproductive health needs of Burmese refugees
- Contact tracing for syphilis in Chile
- The psychosocial support needs of men women and families experiencing miscarriage
- The sexual health of older Australians
- Professor Meredith Temple-Smith, Director of Research Training,
- Associate Professor Lena Sanci, Deputy Head of Department,
- Dr Amita Tuteja, PhD student
- Nicole Iturrieta Guaita, PhD student
- Dr Jenny Hayes, Anatomy
- Prof Jane Hocking, School of Population Health
- Dr Lester Mascarenhas, Cohealth
- Dr Jane Tomnay, Centre for Excellence in Rural Sexual Health
- Ms Shelley Walker, Burnet Institute
- Dr Megan Lim, Burnet Institute
- Prof Christopher Fairley, A/Prof Marcus Chen, Melbourne Sexual Health Centre, Central Clinical School, Alfred Hospital, Monash University
- Prof John Kaldor, Prof Basil Donovan, A/Prof Rebecca Guy, Prof Matthew Law, A/Prof David Regan, A/Prof David Wilson, Dr Marlene Kong, Kirby Institute, University of New South Wales
- Prof Nicola Low, Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Bern, Switzerland
- Prof Robert Carter, Health Economics Unit, Deakin University
- Prof John Imrie, Africa Centre, University of KwaZulu-Natal; Centre for Sexual Health and HIV Research, University College London
- Prof Margaret Hellard, Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute
- A/Prof Sepehr Tabrizi, Royal Women’s Hospital
- A/Prof Marion Saville, Victorian Cytology Service
- A/Prof James Ward, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute
- Dr Jade Bilardi, Melbourne Sexual health Centre
Lodge G, L Sanci, M Temple-Smith. GPs' perspectives on prescribing intrauterine contraceptive devices. Australian family physician. 2017; 46(5):327-33.
Temple-Smith M, Moore S, Rosenthal D. Sexuality in Adolescence: the Digital Generation, Psychology Press, Taylor and Francis Group, 2016.
Ewert C, Collyer A, Temple-Smith M. “Most young men think you have to be naked in front of the GP": A qualitative study of male University students' views on barriers to sexual health, Sexual Health, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/SH15217
Litras A, Latreille S, Temple-Smith M. Dr Google, porn and friend-of-a-friend: Where are young men really getting their sexual health information? Sexual Health 2015 12(6) 488-494 http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/SH15055
Harding T, Simonis M, Hayes J, Temple-Smith M. Female genital cosmetic surgery: what every Australian general practitioner needs to know, Australian Family Physician, 2015, 44, 11:822-825.
Walker S, Temple-Smith M, Higgs P, Sanci L. 'It's always just there in your face': Young people's views on porn, Sexual Health, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/SH14225
Latreille S, Collyer A, Temple-Smith M. Finding a segue into sex: do young men want sexual health information from their GP? Australian Family Physician, 2014; 43 (4): 217-221.
Yeung A, Temple-Smith M, Fairley C, Vaisey A, Guy R, Law M, Low N, Bingham A, Gunn J, Kaldor J, Donovan B, Hocking J. Chlamydia prevalence in young attenders of rural and regional primary care services in Australia: a cross-sectional survey. The Medical Journal of Australia, 2014, 200(3):170-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.5694/mja13.10729
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact the research group leader.
Department / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.