Metastasis Research Group
|Professor Albert G Fraumanemail@example.com||+61 3 9496 5486||View page|
Prostate cancer is one of the commonest cancers worldwide. Our research is looking at mechanisms of prostate cancer progression and of treatment resistance, using molecular biology, structural biology and bioinformatics approaches in biomarker discovery as a means of identifying new diagnostic and drug targets.
We have identified potential compounds which inhibit prostate cancer progression. The aim of this Honours project is to confirm anti-metastatic potential of these compounds in in vivo mouse models of primary human tumour xenotransplants. In addition, investigation of potential mechanisms of action of these compounds in angiogenesis will be carried out using in vitro tube formation assay.
An approach that we have undertaken is a time-course, whole transcriptome analysis of an cell line model of androgen resistance transition. The mechanisms driving the transition to androgen-resistance are still uncertain and this development contributes to the difficult task of predicting outcome. We aim to clarify molecular and transcriptomic changes that occurs during the transition to this so called Castrate-Resistant Prostate Cancer (CRPC)stage.The classification and characterization of CRPC will potentially lead to improved understanding of and new treatments for the targeting of molecular processes involved in prostate cancer progression.
Our research plans involve a multi-disciplinary program to try to understand CRPC development and the prevention of metastatic processes in prostate cancer. These strategies should lead to new diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic approaches to this common malignancy.
- Dr Melissa Davis, Bioinformatics Laboratory, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, VIC, Australia
- Prof Michael Parker, Structural Biology Laboratory, St. Vincent's Institute for Medical Research, VIC, Australia
- Dr Elizabeth Williams, Tumour Model Laboratory, Australian Prostate Cancer Research Center Queensland, QLD, Australia
- Detchokul S, Elangovan A, Crampin EJ, Davis MJ and FRAUMAN AG. Network analysis of an in vitro model of androgen-resistance in prostate cancer. BMC Cancer, 2015; 15:883 doi:10.1186/s12885-015-1884-7.
- Detchokul S, Newell B, Williams ED, FRAUMAN AG. CD151 is associated with prostate cancer cell invasion and lymphangiogenesis in vivo. Oncol Rep. 2014; 31: 241-7
- Detchokul S and FRAUMAN AG. Editorial. British Journal of Pharmacology, 2014; 171: 5459–5461. doi: 10.1111/bph.12849.
- Evans SM, Millar JL, Frydenberg M, Murphy DG, Davis ID, Speman T, Bolton DM, Giles GG, Dean J, Costello AJ, FRAUMAN AG, et al. Positive surgical margins: rate, contributing factors and impact on further treatment: findings from the Prostate Cancer Registry. BJU Int. 2013. doi: 10.1111/bju.12509. PMID: 24128010
- Detchokul S, Williams ED, Parker MW, FRAUMAN AG. Tetraspanins as regulators of the tumour microenvironment: implications for metastasis and therapeutic strategies. Br J Pharmacol. 2013. doi: 10.1111/bph.12260. PMID:23731188
- Evans SM, Millar JL, Davis ID, Murphy DG, Bolton DM, Giles GG, Frydenberg M, Andrianopoulos N, Wood JM, FRAUMAN AG, et al. Patterns of care for men diagnosed with prostate cancer in Victoria from 2008-2011. Med J October 2015 Projectv3 v1.0
Reference: 16-1203 Date submitted: Aust. 2013; 198(10): 540-5.
- FRAUMAN AG. The TSH receptor. UCSD Molecule Page,2(1) doi:10.6072/H0.MP.A002333.01
- Evans SM, Miller JL, Wood JM, Davis ID, Bolton D, Giles GG, Frydenberg M, FRAUMAN A, et al. The Prostate Cancer Registry: monitoring patterns and quality of care for men diagnosed with prostate cancer. BJU Int. 2013 Apr;111(4B):E158-66.
- Louis SN, Chow LTC, Varghayee N, Rezmann LA, FRAUMAN AG, Louis WJ. The expression of MTUS1/ATIP and its major isoforms, ATIP1 and ATIP3, in human prostate cancer. Cancers. 2011; 3: 3824-57.
- Chae J, Taylor D, FRAUMAN AG. Tropisetron versus metoclopramide for the treatment of nausea and vomiting in the emergency department. Emerg Mede Australas. 2011; 23: 554-61.
- Krezel MA, Rezmann LA, Varghayee N, Pete J, FRAUMAN AG, Louis SN. Gene sequencing and tissue expression of unknown isoforms of an angiotension II type 2 receptor interacting protein, ATIP, in the rat. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011; 75: 414-8.
- Detchokul S, FRAUMAN AG. Recent developments in prostate cancer biomarker research: therapeutic implications. Br J of Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 71: 157-74.
- Ang J, Fang BL, Ashman LK, FRAUMAN AG. The migration and invasion of human prostate cancer cell lines involves CD151 expression. Oncol Rep. 2010; 24: 1593-97.
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Professor Albert G Frauman