|Professor Patricia Desmondemail@example.com||+61 3 9342 8398||View page|
The Brain Imaging Laboratory in the Department of Medicine and Radiology was established in 1997 for the purposes of analyzing imaging data acquired at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Housed within the Dept of Radiology Library, it has proven to be of vital use for researchers and students undertaking neuroimaging research. It is currently in use not only, by research groups within the University and the hospital, but also by other institutions such as the Austin Hospital.
Current research includes:
- Analysis of the effect of physical activity on progression of cerebrovascular disease in older adults at risk of Alzheimer's disease
- Analysis of the association between physical activity measurements and MRI of the brain in people at risk of developing Alzheimer's Disease.
- Analysis of longitudinal changes in white matter microstructure in patients at risk of Alxheimer's disease and their relationship to changes in functional fitness levels.
- Logintudinal eeffect of physical activity on cortical thickness in people at risk of dementia
- Assessment of imaging biomarkers for the evaluation of traumatic brain injury
- Development of novel neuroimaging biomarkers in Neurological diseases.
- Midlife cardiovascular risk factors, White Matter Hyperintensity volume and cognition in normal ageing women.
- Effect of midlife vascular risk factors and lifestyle on late life brain structure and cognitive function in normal ageing women
- Development of in-house medical imaging software for analysis of above projects
- Professor Patricia Desmond
- Professor Nicola Lautenschlager
- Dr Christopher Steward
- Associate Professor Cassandra Szoeke
- Associate Professor Peter Mitchell
- Associate Professor Richard Dowling
- Professor Stephen Davis
- Associate Professor Bruce Campbell
- Dr Nawaf Yassi
- Dr Andrew Morokoff
- Professor Roger Ordidge
- Professor Terry O'Brien
- Professor Colin Masters
- Dr Sandy Shultz
- Professor Ashley Bush
- Dr Elaine Lui
- Associate Professor Frank Gaillard
- Dr Diane Pascoe
- AIBL Active Group (National Ageing Research Institute) Nicola Lautenschlager, Patricia Desmond, Elizabeth Cyarto, Kay Cox, Kathryn Ellis.
- EXTEND Campbell BC, Mitchell PJ, Kleinig TJ, Dewey HM, Churilov L, Yassi N, Yan B, Dowling RJ, Parsons MW, Oxley TJ, Wu TY, Brooks M, Simpson MA, Miteff F, Levi CR, Krause M, Harrington TJ, Faulder KC, Steinfort BS, Priglinger M, Ang T, Scroop R, Barber PA, McGuinness B, Wijeratne T, Phan TG, Chong W, Chandra RV, Bladin CF, Badve M, Rice H, de Villiers L, Ma H, Desmond PM, Donnan GA, Davis SM.
- TBI Sandy Schultz, Terry O'Brien, Patricia Desmond, John Cleary, Roger Ordidge Trevor Kilpatrick.
National Health and Medical Research Council Grants:
- Brain iron imaging for Alzheimer’s disease (AIBL-ADIRON study) 2016-2021 ($1,227,884.65) App ID:1101533, Bush A, Maruff, P, Villemagne V, Ordidge R, Salvado O, Desmond P, Ayton S.
- Tenecteplase versus Alteplase for Stroke Thrombolysis Evaluation (TASTE) trial $3,989,897.50 APP ID 1079696, 2015-2020 M Parsons, C Levi, P McElduff, R Lindley, P Desmond, G Albers, W Hacke, H Markus, B Campbell, T Phan.
- A randomised clinical trial of physical activity to delay the progression of cerebrovascular pathology, $632152.80 2010-2013 NT Lautenschlager, P Desmond, K Cox, D Ames, C Szoeke, O Salvado, M Sharman, K Ellis, P Phal, C Masters, C, Rowe, R Martins, M Collins.
- Merkel, B., Steward, C., Vivash, L., Malpas, C.B., Phal, P., Moffat, B.A., Cox, K.L., Ellis, K.A., Ames, D.J., Cyarto, E.V., Lai, M.M.Y., Sharman, M.J., Szoeke, C., Masters, C.L., Lautenschlager, N.T., Desmond, P. (2015) Semi-automated Hippocampal Segmentation in People With Cognitive Impairment Using an Age Appropriate Template for Registration. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging, 42:1631-1638.
- Yassi N, Campbell BC, Moffat BA, Steward C Churilov L, Parsons MW, Donnan GA, Desmond PM, Davis SM, Bivard A. Association between baseline peri-infarct magnetic resonance spectroscopy and regional white matter after stroke. Neuroradiology 2015 Sept 16 (epub ahead of print)
- Campbell BC, Mitchell PJ, Kleinig TJ, Dewey HM, Churilov L, Yassi N, Yan B, Dowling RJ, Parsons MW, Oxley TJ, Wu TY, Brooks M, Simpson MA, Miteff F, Levi CR, Krause M, Harrington TJ, Faulder KC, Steinfort BS, Priglinger M, Ang T, Scroop R, Barber PA, McGuinness B, Wijeratne T, Phan TG, Chong W, Chandra RV, Bladin CF, Badve M, Rice H, de Villiers L, Ma H, Desmond PM, Donnan GA, Davis SM; EXTEND-IA Investigators. Endovascular therapy for ischemic stroke with perfusion imaging selection NEngl J Med. 2015 Mar 12;372(11):1009-18
- Genc S; Steward CE; Malpas CB; Velakoulis D; O'Brien TJ; DesmondPM, Journal Of Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Short term white matter alterations in Alzheimers disease characterized by diffusion tensor imaging.JMRI [J MagnReson Imaging], ISSN: 1522-2586, 2016 Mar; Vol. 43 (3), pp. 627-34
- Oxley TJ; Opie NL; John SE; Rind GS; Ronayne SM; Wheeler TL; Judy JW; McDonald AJ; Dornom A; Lovell TJ; Steward C; Garrett DJ; Moffat BA; Lui EH; Yassi N; Campbell BC; Wong YT; Fox KE; Nurse ES; Bennett IE; Bauquier SH; Liyanage KA; van der Nagel NR; Perucca P; Ahnood A; Gill KP; Yan B; Churilov L; French CR; DesmondPM; Horne MK; Kiers L; Prawer S; Davis SM; Burkitt AN; Mitchell PJ; Grayden DB; May CN; O'Brien TJ, Minimally invasive endovascular stent-electrode array for high fidelity, chronic recordings of cortical neural activity. Nature Biotechnology [Nat Biotechnol], ISSN: 1546-1696, 2016 Mar; Vol. 34 (3), pp. 320-7
- Malpas CB, Saling MM, Velakoulis D, Desmond P, O'Brien TJ.Differential functional connectivity correlates of cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers in dementia of the Alzheimers type. Neurodegener Dis. 2016;16(3-4):147-51. doi: 10.1159/000438924. Epub 2015 Nov 27.
This Research Group doesn't currently have any projects
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Professor Patricia Desmond
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.