Bone and Mineral Research Group
+61 3 83443258
- Professor John D Wark, Head, Bone and Mineral Research Group
- Dr Ashwini Kale, Senior Bone Densitometrist
- Ms Natalie Hyde, Bone Densitometrist
- Mrs Maria Fanti, Administration Support
- Ms Heather Robinson, Study Coordinator/ Research Nurse
- Dr Christopher Yates, Consultant Endocrinologist and Fracture Capture Physician
- Dr Meir Lichtenstein, Nuclear Medicine Physician, Bone Densitometry Unit
- Professor Suzanne Garland, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- A/Prof Lora Giangregorio, Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Canada
This research project is available to PhD students to join as part of their thesis.
Please contact the Research Group Leader to discuss your options.
- Wark JD, Bensen W, Recknor C, Ryabitseva O, Chiodo J 3rd, Mesenbrink P, de Villiers TJ. Treatment with acetaminophen/paracetamol or ibuprofen alleviates post-dose symptoms related to intravenous infusion with zoledronic acid 5 mg. Osteoporosis Int, 2011.; 23 (2); 503-512
- Duncan EL, Dnoy P, Kemp JP, Leo P, McClosky E, Nicholson GC, Eastell R, Prince Rl, Eisman JA, Jones G, Sambrook PN, Reid IR, Dennison EL, Wark JD, Richards JB, Uitterlinden AG, Spector TD, Esapa C, Cos RD, Brown SDM, Thakker RV, Addison KA, Bradbury LA, Centre JR, Cooper C, Cremin C, Estrada K, Felsenberg D, Glueer CC, Hadler J, Henry MJ, Hofman A, Kotowicz MA, Makovey J, Nguyen SC, Nguyen TV, Pasco JA, Pryce K, Reid DM. Rivadeneira F,Roux C, Stefansson K, Styrkarsdottir U, Thorleifsson G, Tichawangana R, Evans DM, Brown MA. Genome-wide association study using extreme truncate selection identifies novel genes affecting bone mineral density and fracture risk. PLOS Genetics. 2011. 7(4):e1001372. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1001372. Epub 2011 Apr 21.
- Borromeo GL, Brand C, Clement JG, McCullough M, Thompson W, Flitzanis E, Wark JD. Is bisphosphonate therapy for benign bone disease associated with impaired dental healing? A case-controlled study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2011: Apr 10; 12:71
- Nowson C, McNaughton S, Wattanapenpaiboon NT, Wark JD. An energy-dense, nutrient-poor dietary pattern is inversely associated with bone health in women. Journal of Nutrition. 2011. June 8 141(8); P 1516-23
- Reginster JY, Kaufman JM, Goemaere S, Devogelaer JP, Benhamou CL, Felsenberg D, Diaz-Curiel M. Brandi ML, Badurski J, Wark JD, Balogh A, Bruyere O, Roux C, Maintenance of anti-fracture efficacy over 10 years with strontium ranelate in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Osteoporosis International , Nov 29 2011: 23(3); p1115-22
- Bolton KL, Egerton T, Wark JD, Wee E, Matthews B, Kelly A, Craven R, Kantor S, Bennell KL. Effects of exercise on bone density and falls risk factors in post-menopausal women with osteopaenia: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sports 2012: 15(2); p102-109
- Perilli E, Briggs AM, Kantor S, Codrington J, Wark JD, Parkinson IH, Fazzalari NL. Failure strength of human vertebrae: prediction using bone mineral density by DXA and bone volume by micro-CT BONE 2012: 50 (6); p1416-1425
- Briggs AM, Straker LM, Burnett AF, Wark JD. Chronic low back pain is associated with reduced vertebral bone mineral measures in community-dwelling adults. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders (Section: Clinical diagnostics and imaging). (30 March 2012) BMC 13:49 2012
- Fenner Y, Garland, SM, Moore EE, Jayasinghe Y, Fletcher A, Tabrizi SN, Gunasekaran B, Wark JD. Web-based recruiting for health research using a social networking site: an exploratory study. J Med Internet Res. 14(1): pp e20 (1 February 2012) (EPub)
- Briggs AM, Perilli E, Parkinson IH, Kantor S, Wrigley TV, Fazzalari NL, Wark JD. Measurement of subregional vertebral bone mineral density in vitro using lateral projection dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA): Validation with peripheral quantitative computed tomography (pQCT). (March 2012) JBMR, 30, 2, pp. 222-23
- Bone strength in young healthy females, older patients with low-trauma fracture and older healthy adults: peripheral quantitative computed tomography based finite element analysis
- Improving Vitamin D status and related health in young women; the Safe-D study – (part A)
- Improving Vitamin D status and related health in young women: The Safe-D study – Part B
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Professor John D Wark
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.