International and Immigrant Health
Professor Beverley-Ann Biggs
+61 3 8344 3256
Professor Beverley-Ann Biggs leads a group of clinicians and researchers with interests in infectious diseases, maternal and child health, and immigrant health. International health activities are based in South and South-East Asia and have focused on; the introduction, evaluation and expanded use of new and under utilised vaccines; strengthening the capacity for research and control of malaria and parasitic infections; the prevention of micronutrient deficiencies and helminth infections in women and young children, and integrated approaches for improved child growth and development.
Refugee health projects have investigated the burden of undiagnosed infections and nutritional deficiencies in immigrants and refugees.
The Group is also active in Guideline and Policy Development through collaborations with the World Health Organisation, the Department of Health, Victoria and the Australasian Society for Infectious diseases.
- Professor Beverley-Ann Biggs, University of Melbourne Department of Medicine and Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, Royal Melbourne Hospital (RMH)
- Dr Janet Pasricha, Refugee Health Fellow Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, RMH
- Dr Thomas Schulz, Refugee Health Fellow Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, RMH
- Dr Joanne Gardiner, Refugee Health Fellow, Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, RMH
- Dr Sabine Braat, Biostatistician
- Dr Leila Larson, NHMRC Research Fellow
- Mr Benjamin Harrap, Research Assistant - Refugee Health
- Mr Jacob Egwunye, Research Assistant - Global Health
- Mr Jerry Jin, Research Assistant
- Ms Beth Hilton-Thorp, Project Consultant
- Ms Christalla Hajisava, Project Support Officer
- Dr Chris Morgan, PhD Student
- Dr Dominic Hare, PhD Student
- Ms Danielle Clucas, PhD Student
- Professor Jane Fisher, Jean Hailes Research Unit, Monash University
- Associate Professor Julie Simpson, School of Population Health
- Dr Thach Tran, Jean Hailes Research Unit, Monash University
- Dr Tuan Tran, Research and Training Center for Community Development, Vietnam (RTCCD)
- Ha Tran, RTCCD, Vietnam
- Professor Willem de Vos, Helsinki University
- Associate Professor Anne Salonen, Helsinki University
- Dr Jena Derakhshani Hamadani, icddr,b, Bangladesh
- Professor Shams El Arifeen, icddr,b, Bangladesh
- Department of Human Services (DHS), Victoria
- Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture (VFST)
- Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory (VIDRL)
- Burnet Institute
- The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute (WEHI)
- Nossal Institute for Global Health
- University of Sydney
- Menzies Institute, Darwin
- Research and Training Center for Community Development, Vietnam
- National Institute of Malariology and Parasitology
- World Health Organization (WHO), Geneva
National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) recent funding
- NHMRC Targeted Research Grant, 2020-2022: Evaluation of a community-led nutrition and lifestyle program for weight loss and metabolic health: a randomised controlled trial. (B Biggs CIA) $1,508,143.99.
- NHMRC Project Grant, 2018 - 2022: IRMA: Benefits and safety of IRon supplementation with MAlaria chemoprevention to children in Malawi (IRMA) - A randomised controlled trial. (BA Biggs, CIC) $3,064,308.92 AUD.
- NHMRC Project Grant, 2016 – 2020:Defining the impact of universal iron interventions in young children: a randomized controlled trial in rural Bangladesh. (BA Biggs, CIA) $2,794,372.68 AUD.
- NHMRC Project Grant, 2016 - 2019: Learning clubs to improve women’s health and infant’s health and development in Vietnam: a cluster randomised controlled trial of a low-cost, evidence-informed, structured intervention.
- NHMRC Project Grant, 2013-2016: What are the clinical predictors and risk factors for child stunting and impaired cognitive development? Following up the Ha Nam cohort from birth to 3 years of age.
- NHMRC Project Grant, 2012-2016: A community‐based cluster randomized controlled trial in rural Bangladesh to evaluate the impact of the use of iron/folic acid supplements early in pregnancy on the risk of neonatal mortality.
- NHMRC Project Grant, 2010-2013: Is weekly iron-folic acid supplementation in pregnancy more effective than daily supplementation?
- NHMRC Centre of Clinical Research Grant, 2002-2009: Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Infectious Diseases.
- NHMRC Early Career Fellowship, 2015-2019:The Stunting Risk Assessment Tool: identifying infants at high risk of impaired growth and development in resource poor settings.
- MDHS Internal Research Grant, 2020: Feasibility and stakeholder engagement for a randomised controlled trial to evaluate the Hope for health Program in a remote indigenious community.
- Shepherdson Foundation Research Grant, 2018–2019: Novel approaches to improve understanding of anaemia and its determinants in Indigenous communities.
- The Royal Melbourne Hospital Home Lottery Grant in Aid, 2018 - 2019: Enteric pathogen infection and gut microbiota disturbance-association with child cognition in remote Indigenous communities.
- Doherty Institute Internal Collaborative Grant Scheme, 2018 - 2019: Diagnostic testing to estimate the prevalence of enteric pathogens and levels of inflammatory markers in indigenous children residing in a remote community in Northern Australia.
- R@M-Interdisciplinary Research Initiatives (Hallmarks & MSOG) Collaborations Grant, 2016 - 2017: New approaches to improve nutrition in indigenous children in a remote Yolngu community. University of Melbourne.
- Grand Challenges, Canada, Grant, 2013-2015: Learning Clubs Project Vietnam.
- University of Melbourne Engagement Fund Grant, 2009:Targeting 1000 days in 10 years: A collaboration to support policy - focused research to benefit Myanmar's women and children.
- Institute for Broadband Enabled Society, University of Melbourne grant, 2011 -2013: Linking to interpreters using videoconferencing.
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Grant, 2009-2012: Maternal mental health and anaemia as determinants of infant health and development in resource constrained settings.
- The Atlantic Philanthropies Grant, 2003 - 2009 : Strengthening the capacity for research and control of malaria and parasitic diseases in Vietnam.
- Department of Business and Innovation; with co-funding from the Institute for Broadband Enabled Society at the University of Melbourne and the Windermere Foundation, 2011 -2013: Refugee Health clinical hub – a model for integrated clinical care.
- Department of Human Services, Victoria, Grant, 2014: Extension to the Clinical Hub Project.
- Department of Human Services, Victoria, Mildura Clinic Travel Grant, 2015.
- Department of Human Services, Victoria Project grant, 2016 -2017: Implementation of telehealth with Melbourne Health.
- Department of Human Services, Victoria Research grant, 2017: Telehealth research grant.
- Department of Human Services, Victoria Grant, 2005-2007: HIV in Victoria’s African Communities: reducing risks and improving care.
- Department of Human Services, Victoria, Grant:Assessing the health of Burmese Refugees. http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/15/11/1769.htm
- Department of Human Services, Victoria, Grant, 2007-2009.A health and well being status report on refugee children and young people 0-18 years.
This research project is available to PhD, Honours, Post Doctor Research students to join as part of their thesis.
Please contact the Research Group Leader to discuss your options.
For a complete listing of Prof Biggs' publication see http://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person13348
- Pasricha SR, Biggs BA. Undernutrition among children in South and South-East Asia. J Paediatr Child Health. 2010;46(9):497-503.
- Casey GJ, Jolley D, Phuc TQ, Tinh TT, Tho DH, Montresor A, Biggs BA. Long-term weekly iron-folic acid and de-worming is associated with stabilised haemoglobin and increasing iron stores in non-pregnant women in Vietnam. PLoS One. 2010;5(12):e15691.
- Pasricha SR, Biggs BA, Prashanth NS, Sudarshan H, Moodie R, Black J, Shet R. Factors influencing receipt of iron supplementation by young children and their mothers in rural India: local and national cross-sectional studies. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:617.
- Casey GJ, Sartori D, Horton SE, Phuc TQ, Phu LB, Thach DT, Dai TC, Fattore G, Montresor A, Biggs BA. Weekly iron-folic acid supplementation with regular deworming is cost-effective in preventing anaemia in women of reproductive age in Vietnam. PLoS One. 2011;6(9):e23723.
- Pasricha SR, Shet AS, Black JF, Sudarshan H, Prashanth NS, Biggs BA. Vitamin B-12, folate, iron, and vitamin A concentrations in rural Indian children are associated with continued breastfeeding, complementary diet, and maternal nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 ;94(5):1358-70.
- Fisher J, Tran T, Biggs BA, Dwyer T, Casey G, Tho DH, Hetzel B. Iodine status in late pregnancy and psychosocial determinants of iodized salt use in rural northern Viet Nam. Bull World Health Organ. 2011;89(11):813-20.
- Ratnam I, Black J, Leder K, Biggs BA, Matchett E, Padiglione A, Woolley I, Panagiotidis T, Gherardin T, Pollissard L, Demont C, Luxemburger C, Torresi J. Incidence and seroprevalence of dengue virus infections in Australian travellers to Asia. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2012 ;31(6):1203-10.
- Grundy J, Annear P.L., Bowen, K., Biggs, BA. The Responsibility to Protect: Inequities of international aid flows to Myanmar and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and the impact on maternal and child health. Asian Studies Review.36(2):171-187. Asian Studies Review. 2012;36(2):171-87
- Schulz T, Leder, K., Maloof, T., Biggs, BA. (2012). Health issues in the refugee population. Medicine Today. 2012;13(3):79-85.
- Passerini L, Casey GJ, Biggs BA, Cong DT, Phu LB, Phuc TQ, Carone M, Montresor A. Increased birth weight associated with regular pre-pregnancy deworming and weekly iron-folic acid supplementation for Vietnamese women. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6(4):e1608.
- Ratnam I, Black J, Leder K, Biggs BA, Gordon I, Matchett E, Padiglione A, Woolley I, Karapanagiotidis T, Gherardin T, Demont C, Luxemburger C, Torresi J. Incidence and risk factors for acute respiratory illnesses and influenza virus infections in Australian travellers to Asia. J Clin Virol. 2013;57(1):54-8.
- Fisher J, Tran T, Duc Tran T, Dwyer T, Nguyen T, Casey GJ, Simpson JA, Hanieh S, Biggs BA. Prevalence and risk factors for symptoms of common mental disorders in early and late pregnancy in Vietnamese women: a prospective population-based study. J Affect Disord. 2013 ;146(2):213-9.
- Thompson J, Biggs BA, Pasricha SR. Effects of daily iron supplementation in 2- to 5-year-old children: systematic review and meta-analysis. Pediatrics. 2013;131(4):739-53.
- Montresor A, Gabrielli AF, Yajima A, Lethanh N, Biggs BA, Casey GJ, Thinh TT, Engels D, Savioli L. Markov model to forecast the change in prevalence of soil-transmitted helminths during a control programme: a case study in Vietnam. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2013 ;107(5):313-8.
- Pasricha SR, Drakesmith H, Black J, Hipgrave D, Biggs BA. Control of iron deficiency anemia in low- and middle-income countries. Blood. 2013;121(14):2607-17.
- Fisher J, Tran TD, Biggs BA, Dang TH, Nguyen TT, Tran T. Intimate partner violence and perinatal common mental disorders among women in rural Vietnam. Int Health. 2013 ;5(1):29-37.
- Casey GJ, Montresor A, Cavalli-Sforza LT, Thu H, Phu LB, Tinh TT, Tien NT, Phuc TQ, Biggs BA. Elimination of iron deficiency anemia and soil transmitted helminth infection: evidence from a fifty-four month iron-folic acid and de-worming program. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7(4):e2146.
- Ratnam I, Leder K, Black J, Biggs BA, Matchett E, Padiglione A, Woolley I, Panagiotidis T, Gherardin T, Luxemberger C, Torresi J. Low risk of Japanese encephalitis in short-term Australian travelers to Asia. J Travel Med. 2013;20(3):206-8.
- Pasricha S-R, Hayes, E., Kalumba, K., Biggs BA. Effect of daily iron supplementation on health in children aged 4–23 months: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Lancet G H;1:e77-e86. 2013;1.
- Hanieh S, Ha TT, Simpson JA, Casey GJ, Khuong NC, Thoang DD, Thuy TT, Pasricha S-R, Tran TD, Tuan T, Dwyer T, Fisher J, Biggs BA. The effect of intermittent antenatal iron supplementation on maternal and infant outcomes in rural Viet Nam: a cluster randomised trial. PLoS Med. 2013;10(6):e1001470.
- Tran TD, Biggs BA, Tran T, Simpson JA, Hanieh S, Dwyer T, Fisher J. Impact on infants' cognitive development of antenatal exposure to iron deficiency disorder and common mental disorders. PLoS One. 2013;8(9):e74876.
- Butcher K, Biggs BA, Leder K, Lemoh C, O'Brien D, Marshall C. Understanding of latent tuberculosis, its treatment and treatment side effects in immigrant and refugee patients. BMC Res Notes. 2013;6:342.
- Grundy J, Annear P, Chomat AM, Ahmed S, Biggs BA. Improving average health and persisting health inequities--towards a justice and fairness platform for health policy making in Asia. Health Policy Plan. 2013;28:7.
- Tran TD, Biggs BA, Tran T, Casey GJ, Hanieh S, Simpson JA, Dwyer T, Fisher J. Psychological and social factors associated with late pregnancy iron deficiency anaemia in rural Viet Nam: a population-based prospective study. PLoS One. 2013;8(10):e78162.
- Low M, Farrell A, Biggs BA, Pasricha SR. Effects of daily iron supplementation in primary-school-aged children: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. CMAJ. 2013;185(17):E791-802.
- Lemoh C, Ryan CE, Sekawi Z, Hearps AC, Aleksic E, Chibo D, Grierson J, Baho S, Street A,Hellard M, Biggs BA, Crowe SM. Acquisition of HIV by African-born residents of Victoria, Australia: insights from molecular epidemiology. PLoS One. 2013;8(12):e84008.
- Fisher J, Tran TD, Biggs BA, Tran T. Validation of the Intimate Bonds Measure for women who are pregnant or have recently given birth in Vietnam. Asia Pac Psychiatry. 2014 ;6(1):28-37.
- Tran TD, Tran T, Simpson JA, Tran HT, Nguyen TT, Hanieh S, Dwyer T, Biggs BA, Fisher J.Infant motor development in rural Vietnam and intrauterine exposures to anaemia, iron deficiency and common mental disorders: a prospective community-based study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014;14:8.
- Tran TD, Biggs BA, Tran T, Simpson JA, de Mello MC, Hanieh S, Thu Nguyen TT, Dwyer T, Fisher J. Perinatal common mental disorders among women and the social and emotional development of their infants in rural Vietnam. J Affect Disord. 2014;160:104-12.
- Grundy J, Annear P, Ahmed S, Biggs BA. Adapting to social and political transitions - the influence of history on health policy formation in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar (Burma). Soc Sci Med. 2014;107:179-88.
- Hanieh S, Ha TT, Simpson JA, Thuy TT, Khuong NC, Thoang DD, Tran TD, Tuan T, Fisher J, Biggs BA. Maternal vitamin D status and infant outcomes in rural Vietnam: a prospective cohort study. PLoS One. 2014;9(6):e99005.
- Schulz TR, Richards M, Gasko H, Lohrey J, Hibbert ME, Biggs BA. Telehealth - Experience of the first 120 consultations delivered from a new Refugee Telehealth clinic. Intern Med J. 2014;44(10):981-85.
- Sanati Pour M, Kumble S, Hanieh S, Biggs BA. Prevalence of dyslipidaemia and micronutrient deficiencies among newly arrived refugees in rural Australia: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2014;14:896.
- Hanieh S, Ha TT, De Livera AM, Simpson JA, Thuy TT, Khuong NC, Thoang DT, Tran TD, Tuan T, Fisher J, Biggs BA. Antenatal and Early Infant Predictors of Postnatal Growth in Rural Vietnam: A Prospective Cohort Study. Arch Dis Child. 2014; pii: archdischild-2014-306328.
- Schulz TR, McBryde ES, Leder K, Biggs BA. Using Stool Antigen to Screen for Helicobacter pylori in Immigrants and Refugees from High Prevalence Countries Is Relatively Cost Effective in Reducing the Burden of Gastric Cancer and Peptic Ulceration. PLoS One. 2014;9(9):e108610.
- Hanieh S, Ha TT, Simpson JA, Thuy TT, Khuong NC, Thoang DD, Tran TD, Tuan T, Fisher J, Biggs BA. Postnatal growth outcomes and influence of maternal gestational weight gain: a prospective cohort study in rural Vietnam. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014;14(1):339.
- Dahl T, Cowie BC, Biggs BA, Leder K, MacLachlan JH, Marshall C. Health literacy in patients with chronic hepatitis B attending a tertiary hospital in Melbourne: a questionnaire based survey. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2014;14:537.
- Schulz T, Leder K, Akinci I, Biggs BA. Improvements in Patient Care: videoconferencing to improve access to interpreters during clinical consultations for refugee and immigrant patients. Aus Health Rev. 39. 2015.
- Tran TD, Fisher J, Hanieh S, Tran T, Simpson JA, Tran H, Biggs B-A. Antenatal Iron Supplementation Regimens for Pregnant Women in Rural Vietnam and Subsequent Haemoglobin Concentration and Anaemia among Their Infants. PLoS ONE.10(4):e0125740.
- Hanieh S, Ha TT, Simpson JA, Thuy TT, Khuong NC, Thoang DD, Tran TD, Tuan T, Fisher J, Biggs B-A, Exclusive breast feeding in early infancy reduces the risk of inpatient admission for diarrhea and suspected pneumonia in rural Vietnam: a prospective cohort study. BMC Public Health. 2015; 15(1).
- Biggs B-A, Casey G, Tinh T, Tien N, Cavalli-Sforza L, Montresor A. Is Weekly Iron Folic Acid Supplementation and Deworming in Vietnamese Women of Reproductive Age Sustainable? The Yen Bai Cohort 6 Years on. Euro J Nutr Food Safety. 2015; 5(5)(Special issue)
- Hanieh S, Ha TT, Simpson JA, Thuy TT, Khuong NC, Thoang DD, Tran TD, Tuan T, Fisher J, Biggs BA. Exclusive breast feeding in early infancy reduces the risk of inpatient admission for diarrhea and suspected pneumonia in rural Vietnam: a prospective cohort study. BMC Public Health 2015;15(1):1166.
- Grundy J, Biggs BA, Hipgrave DB. Public Health and International Partnerships in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. PLoS Med. 2015;12(12):e1001929.
- Hanieh S, Ryan N, Biggs BA. Assessing enteric helminths in refugees, asylum seekers and new migrants. Microbiol Aus. 2016; 37(11):15-9.
- Thurnheer MC, Edwards R, Schulz TR, Yuen L, Littlejohn M, Revill P, Bannister E, Chu M, Tanyeri F, Wade A, Biggs BA, Sasadeusz J. Genotypic profiles of hepatitis B in African immigrants and their clinical relevance. J Med Virol. 2016;89(6): 1000-1007.
- Hare DJ, Cardoso BR, Raven EP, Double KL, Finkelstein DI, Szymlek-Gay EA and Biggs BA. Excessive early-life dietary exposure: a potential source of elevated brain iron and a risk factor for Parkinson’s disease. NPJ Parkinsons Dis. 2017;3:1.
- Casey GJ, Tinh TT, Tien NT, Hanieh S, Cavalli-Sforza LT, Montresor A, Biggs BA. Sustained effectiveness of weekly iron-folic acid supplementation and regular deworming over 6 years in women in rural Vietnam. PLoS NTD. 2017;11(4):e0005446.
- Pottie K, Mayhew AD, Morton RL, Greenaway C, Akl EA, Rahman P, Zenner D, Pareek M, Tugwell P, Welch V, Meerpohl J, Alonso-Coello P, Hui C, Biggs BA, Requena-Méndez A, Agbata E, Noori T, Schünemann HJ. Prevention and assessment of infectious diseases among children and adult migrants arriving to the European Union/European Economic Association: A protocol for a suite of systematic reviews for public health and health systems. BMJ Open. 2017;7(9):e014608.
- Chaves NJ, Paxton GA, Biggs BA, Thambiran A, Gardiner J, Williams J, Smith MM, Davis JS. The Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases and Refugee Health Network of Australia recommendations for health assessment for people from refugee-like backgrounds: an abridged outline. Med J Aust. 2017;206(7):310-315.
- Hanieh S, Ha TT, Simpson JA, Braat S, Thuy TT, Tran TD, King J, Tuan T, Fisher J, Biggs BA. Effect of low versus higher dose antenatal iron supplementation on child health outcomes at 36 months of age in Viet Nam: longitudinal follow up of a cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ Global Health. 2017;2:e000368.
- Hasan MI, Hossain SJ, Braat S, Dibley M, Fisher J, Grantham-McGregor S, Tofail F, Simpson JA, El Arifeen S, Hamadani J Biggs BA. Benefits and Risks of Iron interventions in Children (BRISC): protocol for a three-arm parallel-group randomized controlled field trial in Bangladesh. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e018325.
- Denholm JT, McBryde ES, Eisen D, Street A, Matchett E, Chen C, Shultz T, Biggs B, Leder K. SIRCLE: a ran domised controlled cost comparison of self-administered short-course isoniazid and rifapentine for cost-effective latent tuberculosis eradication. Intern Med J. 2017;47(12):1433-1436.
- Schulz TR, Edwards R, Thurnheer MC, Yuen L, Littlejohn M, Revill P, Chu M, Tanyeri F, Wade A, Biggs BA, Sasadeusz J. Hepatitis B amongst Immigrants from Myanmar: Genotypes and their Clinical Relevance. J Med Virol. 2018; 90(2):271-276.
- Hare DJ, Ph.D; Cardoso BR, PhD; Szymlek-Gay EA, PhD; Biggs BA. Neurological effects of iron supplementation in infancy: Finding the balance between health and harm in iron-replete children. Lancet Child & Adolescent. eb 2018; 2(2):144-156.
- Tonkin E, Kennedy D, Golley R, Byrne R, Rohit A, Kearns T, Hanieh S, Biggs BA, Brimblecombe J. The Relative Validity of the Menzies Remote Short-Item Dietary Assessment Tool (MRSDAT) in Aboriginal Australian Children Aged 6–36 Months. Nutrients. 2018; 10;10(5). pii: E590.
- Fisher J, Tran T, Luchters S, Tran TD, Hipgrave DB, Hanieh S, Tran H, Simpson J, Nguyen T, Le M, Biggs BA. Addressing multiple modifiable risks through structured community-based Learning Clubs to improve maternal and infant health and infant development in rural Vietnam: protocol for a parallel group cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open. 2018;17;8(7): e023539.
- Pottie K, Lotfi T, Kilzar L, Howeiss P, Rizk N, Akl EA, Dias S, Biggs BA, Christensen R, Rahman P, Magwood O, Tran A, Rowbotham N, Pharris A, Noori T, Pareek M, Morton R. The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of screening for HIV in migrants in the EU/EEA: A systematic review. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2018; 15(8). pii: E1700. Review.
- Gyorkos, TW, Montresor A, Belizario V, Biggs BA, Bradley M, Brooker SJ, Casapia M, Cooper P, Deb S, L Gilbert NL, Imtia R, Khieu V, Knopp S, Lincetto O, Mofid LS, Mupfasoni D, Vail C, Vercruysse J. The right to deworming: the case for girls and women of reproductive age. PLoS Negl Dis. 2018; 12(11):e0006740.
- Tran TD, Biggs BA, Holton S, Nguyen HT, Hanieh S, Fisher J. Co-morbid anaemia and stunting among preschool-aged children in low- and middle-income countries: A syndemic. Public Health Nutr. 2018; 24:1-9.
- Myran D, Morton R, Biggs BA, Veldhuijzen I, Castelli F, Tran A, Staub L, Agbata E, Rahman P, Pareek M. Noori T, Pottie K. The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of screening for and vaccination against Hepatitis B virus among migrants in the EU/EEA: a systematic review. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2018; 15:1898.
- Hui C, Dunn J, Morton R, Staub L, Tran A, Hargreaves S, Greenaway C, Biggs BA, Christensen R, Pottie K. Interventions to improve vaccination uptake and cost effectiveness of vaccination strategies in newly arrived migrants in the EU/EEA: a systematic review. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2018; 15:2065.
- Hui T, Kanhutu K, Sasadeusz J, Watkinson S, Biggs BA. Using Telehealth to improve access to Hepatitis C cure in the direct acting antiviral therapy era. J Telemedicine Telecare. 2018; 1357633X18806651.
- Grundy J and Biggs BA. The impact of conflict on immunization coverage in 16 countries. Int J Health Policy Manag. 2018; 30;8(4):211-221.
- Agbata EN, Morton RL, Bisoffi Z, Bottieau E, Greenaway C, Biggs BA, Montero N, Tran A, Rowbotham N, Arevalo-Rodriguez I, Myran DT, Noori T, Alonso-Coello P, Pottie K, Requena-Méndez A.. Effectiveness of Screening and Treatment Approaches for Schistosomiasis and Strongyloidiasis in Newly-Arrived Migrants from Endemic Countries in the EU/EEA: A systematic review. IJERPH. 2019; 16(1) 41 pages. Review.
- Fisher J, Nguyen T, Tran TD, Tran H, Tran T, Luchters S, Hipgrave D, Hanieh S, Biggs BA. Protocol for a process evaluation of a cluster randomized controlled trial of the Learning Club intervention for women's health, and infant's health and development in rural Vietnam. BMC Health Serv Res. 2019; 23;19(1):511.
- Park CS, Vogel E, Larson LM, Myers SS, Daniel M, Biggs BA. The global effect of extreme weather events on nutrient supply: a superposed epoch analysis. Lancet Planetary Health. 2019; 3(10) e429-e438.
- Hanieh S, Braat S, Simpson JA, Ha TTT, Tran TD, Tuan T, Fisher J, Biggs BA. The Stunting Tool for Early Prevention (STEP-36): Development and external validation of a novel tool to predict risk of stunting in children at three years of age. BMJ Global Health 2019; 4(6):e001801.
- Nguyen T, Sweeny K, Tran T, Luchters S, Hipgrave DB, Hanieh S, Tran T, Tran H, Biggs BA, Fisher J. Protocol for an economic evaluation alongside a cluster randomised controlled trial: cost-effectiveness of Learning Clubs, a multicomponent intervention to improve women’s health and infant’s health and development in Vietnam. BMJ Open 2019;9:e031721.
- Larson, L., Hasan, M. I., Feuerriegel, D., Shiraji, S., Shabnab, S., Tofail, F., . . . Johnson, K. Using a Developmental Test and Electroencephalography to Examine Child Cognition and Its Predictors in Bangladesh (P13-024-19). Curr Dev Nutr. 2019; 3(Suppl 1).
- Larson, L., Hasan, M. I., Braat, S., Baldi, A., Alam, M. S., Biggs, BA., . . . Pasricha, S. -R. (2019). Agreement Between Venous and Capillary Haemoglobin Concentrations in Bangladeshi Children (P10-105-19).. Curr Dev Nutr. 2019; 3(Suppl 1).
- Thach, D. T., Biggs, BA., Holton, S., Hau, T. M. N., Hanieh, S., & Fisher, J. Co-morbid anaemia and stunting among children of pre-school age in low- and middle-income countries: a syndemic. Public Health Nutr. 2019; 22(1), 35-43.
- Hare, DJ; Braat, S; Cardoso, BR; Morgan, C; Szymlek-Gay, EA; Biggs, B-A, Health outcomes of iron supplementation and/or food fortification in iron-replete children aged 4-24 months: protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis, Systematic Reviews, 2019, 8 (1)
- Park CS, Vogel E, Larson LM, Myers SS, Daniel M, Biggs BA. The global effect of extreme weather events on nutrient supply: a uperposed epoch analysis. Lancet Planet Health. 2019; 3(10):e429-e438.
- Does weekly iron supplementation increase iron uptake in pregnant Vietnamese women, and improve maternal and infant health?
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Group Leader Professor Beverley-Ann Biggs
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.