Clinical Epilepsy Epidemiology
Our research group is focused on clinical epilepsy epidemiology, electrophysiology and co-morbidity. Particular research emphasis is currently on neural networks in Idiopathic Generalised Epilepsy and health outcomes of epilepsy using privacy preserving data linkage techniques. In addition, our strong clinical epilepsy emphasis allows unprecedented access to invasive epilepsy monitoring techniques and interpretation of brain wave recordings for seizure localisation, detection and prediction utilising cutting-edge techniques. Our group's main aims are to better understand the prognosis of epilepsy especially outcomes of modifiable public health significance (e.g. psychiatric, injury, cognition, mortality). Our ongoing clinical interest maintains this focus on immediate translation of our research findings.
- Assoc. Professor Wendyl D'Souza, Department of Medicine, St Vincent's Hospital, The University of Melbourne
- Associate Professor Udaya Seneviratne, Department of Medicine, St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne & Monash University, Clayton
- Professor Stephen Bowden, Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences, University of Melbourne
- Dr Michael Tan, PhD Student, Department of Medicine, St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne
- Nick Parsons, PhD Student, Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences, University of Melbourne
- Anita Dharan, PhD Student, Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences, University of Melbourne
- Sophia Ignatiadis, Research Assistant, Department of Medicine, St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne
- Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Melbourne
- Department of Engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Centre for Predictive Modelling in Healthcare/Centre for Biomedical Modelling and Analysis & College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter
- The Bionics Institute of Australia, East Melbourne
- Department of Neurology, St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne
- Department of Radiology, St Vincent's Hospital Melbourne
Loughman A, Bowden SC, & D'Souza WJ. A comprehensive assessment of cognitive function in genetic generalised epilepsy. European Journal of Neurology 2017 ; 24 (3), 453-460
Seneviratne U, Boston RC, Cook M, D'Souza WJ. Temporal patterns of epileptiform discharges in genetic generalized epilepsies Epilepsy & Behaviour 2016; 64:18-25
Loughman, A., Seneviratne U, Bowden, S. C., & D'Souza, WJ. Epilepsy beyond seizures - improving our understanding of cognitive dysfunction in the Genetic Generalised Epilepsies. Epilepsy & Behaviour 2016; 62, 297-303
Seneviratne U, Hepworth G, Cook MJ, D’Souza WJ. Can EEG differentiate among syndromes in genetic generalized epilepsy? In Press, Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology 19th October 2016; http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/WNP.0000000000000358
Lacey C, Salzberg MR, D’Souza WJ. What factors contribute to the risk of depression in Epilepsy? - The Tasmania Epilepsy Register Mood Study (TERMS). Epilepsia 2016 ; 57 (3) : 516–522 14 JAN 2016; http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/epi.13302
Tan M, Wilson I, Braganza V, Ignatiadis S, Boston R, Sundararajan, V, Cook, M, D’Souza, W. Development and validation of an epidemiological case definition of epilepsy for use with routinely collected Australian health data. Epilepsy & Behaviour 2015; 51: 65-72
Seneviratne U, Cook M, D'Souza W. Focal seizure symptoms in idiopathic generalized epilepsies. Neurology 2015; 85 (7): 589-95
Loughman, A., Bowden, S. C., & D'Souza, W. Cognitive functioning in idiopathic generalised epilepsies: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 2014; 43, 20-34.
Tan M, D’Souza W. Seizure-related injuries, drowning and vehicular crashes - a critical review of the literature. Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports 2013; 13 (7): 1-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11910-013-0361-4
Seneviratne U, Reutens D, D’Souza W. Stereotypy of psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: Insights from video-EEG monitoring. Epilepsia 2010; 51:1159-68.
This Research Group doesn't currently have any projects
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Assoc. Prof Wendyl D'Souza
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.