Translational Cardiovascular Biology
+61 3 9231 2574
Our lab focuses on bench to bedside research focused on the link between obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Whilst based on human research, the programme spans projects from population and clinical studies in patients with risk factors for heart disease such as high cholesterol and diabetes, through to smaller projects in patients having cardiac surgery and cardiology procedures, and finally to basic projects involving animal models, cell culture models and assays for biomarkers using proteomic analysis such as mass spectrometry. We also have a range of cohort studies looking at large groups of patients followed over time. Students attached to our group are often embedded in the hospital and clinical settings and we have close collaborations with colleagues in the hospital setting as well as with a range of scientists to facilitate the basic aspects of our programme.
- Dr Amy Wilson-O'Brien, postdoctoral fellow
- Mr John Garlick, research assistant
- St Vincent's Institute of Medical Research
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Melbourne
- St Vincent's Health Melbourne
- Australia Catholic University
- Walter & Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- Sanson Institute
- RMIT University
- University of California San Francisco
- Stanford University
- Biogrid Australia, Data Linkage
- LAYLAND, J. J., WHITBOURN, R. J., BURNS, A. T., SOMARATNE, J., LEITL, G., MACISAAC, A. I., & WILSON, A. M. 2012. The index of microvascular resistance identifies patients with periprocedural myocardial infarction in elective percutaneous coronary intervention. Heart, 98, 1492-7.
- HOFFERBERTH, S. C., NEWCOMB, A. E., RYAN, M. C., YII, M. Y., NIXON, I. K., ROSALION, A., BOSTON, R. C., WARD, G. M., & WILSON, A. M. 2012. High incidence of insulin resistance and dysglycaemia amongst nondiabetic cardiac surgical patients. AnnThorac Surg, 94, 117 - 22.
- COOKE, J. P. & WILSON, A. M. 2010. Biomarkers of peripheral arterial disease. 2010. J Am Coll Cardiol, 55, 2017 - 23.
- WILSON, A. M., HARADA, R., NAIR, N., BALASUBRAMANIAN, N. M., & COOKE, J. P. 2007. L-arginine supplementation in peripheral arterial disease: no benefit and possible harm. Circulation, 116, 188-95.
- WILSON, A. M., KIMURA, E., HARADA, R. K., et al. 2007. Beta2-microglobulin as a biomarker in peripheral arterial disease: proteomic profiling and clinical studies. Circulation, 116, 1396 - 403.
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Group Leader Associate Professor Andrew Wilson
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.