On Thursday 9th September 2021, the Melbourne Medical School Baker Department of Cardiometabolic of Health hosted a Zoom webinar discussing Vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT) in patients receiving adenovirus-based vaccines against COVID-19: Mechanisms and status in Australia.
This webinar was chaired by Professor Karlheinz Peter, Head of the Baker Department of Cardiometabolic Health, University of Melbourne.
- Dr James McFadyen, Haematologist at the Alfred Hospital & Research Fellow at the Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute, Monash and Melbourne University, first mechanistic study on VITT in Australia
VITT: An Australian Perspective
- Professor Andreas Greinacher, Head of transfusion medicine, University of Greifswald, Germany; expert on heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and first descriptions and mechanistic studies on VITT Mechanisms of Vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia
Expert panel discussion:
- Professor Kanta Subbarao, Director, WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Influenza
- Professor Huyen Tran, Head of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Alfred Hospital
- Professor Elizabeth Gardiner, Deputy Director, John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University