Explore and build your understanding of cultural safety and First Nations Health in a cultural immersion program. In this topic you’ll gain hands-on experience in a First Nations community, building your understanding of First Nations Heath through experiential learning. Learning experiences may include visits to key cultural sites, recognising local histories, participating in clinical placements & cultural activities. This topic contributes to building your understanding of cultural safety in health contexts.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Discuss the relationship between Country and Health for First Nations communities.
- Discuss the importance of self-determination for health of First Peoples and communities.
- Apply the social determinants of health as they apply to the local First Nations community in both historical and modern contexts.
- Identify key local relationships and community stakeholders in local First Nations health community.
- Outline different ways a health practitioner can advocate for First Nations Health in a community setting.
- Apply understanding of cultural safety to working within a First Nations community organisation.
- Demonstrate understanding of holistic health models through participation in cultural immersion.