Welcome to the Academic Unit for Psychiatry of Old Age, The University of Melbourne
Read more about the AUPOA below, or click on this button to contact us:Contact Us
Director/current Interim Head, Melbourne Medical School
Professor Nicola Lautenschlager
Deputy Director/current Acting Director
Associate Professor Kathryn Ellis
- Associate Professor Amit Lampit, Principal Research Fellow
- Dr Terence Chong, Senior Research Fellow
- Dr Tom Rego, MD Aged Care Mental Health Site Coordinator
- Alissa Westphal
- Dr Terence Chong
- Associate Professor Ravi Bhat
- Dr Eleanor Curran
- Katharine Huynh
- Julieta Sabates
- Courtney Chesser
- Rhoda Lai
- Nathalie Launder
- Katrina Luzinat
- Luella Mageean
- Eve Millington
- Jenny Southam
Nicola Dunlop, Personal Assistant to Director of AUPOA
- Associate Professor Alex Bahar-Fuchs, Principal Research Fellow
- Dr Tanya Clifton, Clinical Fellow
- Dr Zoe Cousins, Clinical Lecturer
- Dr Alby Elias, Senior Fellow
- Dr Hannah Malmberg Gavelin, Research Fellow
- Dr Anita Goh, Senior Research Fellow
- Associate Professor Samantha Loi
- Dr Liam Nalder, Clinical Fellow
- Stephanie Perin, Research Fellow
- Dr Marlene Tham, Clinical Fellow
- Dr Emily You, Research Fellow
- Diana Velasquez Reyes, Clinical Tutor
History of the Academic Unit
The Academic Unit for Psychiatry of Old Age (AUPOA) at the University of Melbourne, was established in 1989 at two sites: Mont Park Hospital under the leadership of Professor Edmond Chiu, AM, who at that stage was also the Director of the Aged Psychiatry Service, North Eastern Metropolitan Psychiatric Service (NEMPS), and at Royal Park Hospital (Parkville), under the leadership of Professor David Ames.
In 1995, the Mont Park AUPOA site moved together with the NEMPS to St. George's Hospital in Kew, and in 2001, became part of the St Vincent's Aged Mental Health Service.
In April 2005, after Professor Chiu's retirement, Professor Ames was appointed as head of the AUPOA. Both AUPOA sites were centralised at St George's Hospital in Kew following Professor Ames' appointment as director of the Academic Unit.
In July 2008 Professor Nicola Lautenschlager took on this role, when Professor Ames became the director of the National Ageing Research Institute (NARI).
In July 2015, the AUPOA moved back to the Royal Park Campus (now Royal Melbourne Hospital), to become an integral part of the Aged Person's Mental Health Program (APMHP) at North Western Mental Health (NWMH) as part of Melbourne Health.
In 2010, a book outlining the history of the Department of Psychiatry as told through personal reminiscences of past and present staff was published. This book, entitled: "The Department of Psychiatry at the University of Melbourne 1964-2009 - Personal Reminiscences" is currently available through the Department of Psychiatry and AUPOA. Please contact us more information via email: email@example.com.