Since its inception, MNC has published over 1000+ peer-reviewed journal articles (25,200 total citations). Over half of these publications (550+) have occurred in the last 5 years.
Total MNC Publications January-August 2017 : 145 Publications
Total MNC Publications January-December 2016 : 213 Publications
Recent highlights include:
NHMRC Program Grant:
2019-2023 Sexton, P Christopoulos, A, Pantelis, C, Parton R.
Translating membrane proteins into therapeutics; from bedside to bench.
NHMRC Program Grant (ID: APP1150083). $9,466,000.
NHMRC Project Grants:
2018-20 Harrison BJ, Davey C, Kircher T, Gray M, Schmaal L.
A brain-based model of anxiety sensitivity in panic disorder.
NHMRC Project Grant (ID: 1145010). $402,214.
2018-20 Zalesky A, Calamante F, Cocchi L, Pantelis C.
Connectomic biotyping of schizophrenia patients.
NHMRC Project Grant (ID: APP1142801). $265,000.
2018-22 Palmer V, Gunn J, Harvey C, Furler J, Osborn D, Davidson S, Jayaram M, Chondros P
Assertive Care: a randomised trial to reduce cardiovascular risk for people with severe mental illness.
NHMRC Project Grant (ID: 1141344) $1,487,356.80
2018-23 Zalesky A, NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship B (SRF-B; ID: 1136649). $707,000.
2018-2022 Loi S, NHMRC Early Career Fellowship (ID: 1138968). $229,771.
NHMRC Funding (Orygen primary):
2018-21 Davey C, Loo C, Cotton S, Glozier N, Baune B, Amminger GP, Harrison BJ, Hermens D, Somogyi A, Martin D.
A randomised control trial of low-dose ketamine in youth with severe depression and elevated suicide risk.
NHMRC Project Grant (ID: 1145010). $2,200,000.
Tamsyn Van Rheenen, on being named an Association for Psychological Science 2017 ‘Rising Star’ and for receiving $45,000 from the Henry Freeman Trust grant to explore cross-diagnostic cognitive subgroups of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
2017-2020 Career Development Fellowship (CDF Level 2) to Ben Harrison. Title: Depression and Anxiety Neuroscience. $470,144.
2017-2020 Career Development Fellowship (CDF Level 2) to Sarah Whittle. Title: Neurodevelopmental risk factors for depression from childhood to early adulthood. $470,144.
2017-2020 Career Development Fellowship (CDF Level 1) to Chad Bousman. Title: Pharmacogenetics of antidepressant response and remission: toward genotype-guided prescribing in major depressive disorder. $425,048.
Psychosis and Developmental Neuropsychiatry Group
Group leader: Prof Christos Pantelis, MB BS, MD (Melb), Hon MD (Athens), MRCPsych, FRANZCP
- Schizophrenia Working Group of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium. (2014). Biological insights from 108 schizophrenia-associated genetic loci. Nature 511 (7510), 421-427.
- Fornito et al. (2012). Schizophrenia, neuroimaging and connectomics. Neuroimage 62 (4), 2296-2314.
- Bora et al. (2012). Gray matter abnormalities in major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis of voxel based morphometry studies. Journal of Affective Disorders 138 (1), 9-18.
- Yücel et al. (2012). The impact of cannabis use on cognitive functioning in patients with schizophrenia: a meta-analysis of existing findings and new data in a first-episode sample. Schizophrenia Bulletin 38 (2), 316-330.
- Skafidis, Testa, Zantomio, Chana, Everall, Pantelis (2014). Predicting the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder using gene pathway analysis. Molecular Psychiatry 19, 504-510.
Clinical Neuropsychiatry Group
Group leader: Prof. Dennis Velakoulis, MBBS, Dip Crim, FRANZCP, MMed, DMed Sci
- Dazan et al. (2012). Volumetric abnormalities predating the onset of schizophrenia and affective psychoses: An MRI study in subjects at ultrahigh risk of psychosis Schizophrenia Bulletin 38, 1083-1091.
- Linberg et al. (2012). Hippocampal shape analysis in Alzheimer's disease and frontotemporal lobar degeneration subtypes. Journal of Alzheimers Disease 30, 355-365.
- Berger et al. (2012). Neuroprotective effects of low-dose lithium in individuals at ultra-high risk for psychosis. a longitudinal MRI/MRS study. Current Pharmaceutical Design 18, 570-57.
- Bora et al. (2015). Theory of mind in behavioural-variant frontotemporal dementia and Alzheimer's disease: A meta-analysis. Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 86, 714-719.
- Solowij et al. (2013). Alteration to hippocampal shape in cannabis users with and without schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 143, 179-184.
Depression & Anxiety Neuroscience Group
Group leader: A/Prof. Ben Harrison, PhD.
- Davey CG, Pujol J, Breakspear M, Harrison BJ. A brain model of disturbed self appraisal in depression. The American Journal of Psychiatry. 2017
- Fullana MA, Harrison BJ, Soriano-Mas C, Vervliet B, Cardoner N, Àvila-Parcet A, Radua J. Neural signatures of human fear conditioning: an updated and extended meta-analysis of fMRI studies. Molecular Psychiatry. 2016;21 (4):500-508.
- Davey CG, Pujol J, Breakspear M, Harrison BJ. A brain model of disturbed self appraisal in depression. The American Journal of Psychiatry. In Press.
- Fullana, M.A., Harrison, B.J., et al. 2016. Neural signatures of human fear conditioning: an updated and extended meta-analysis of fMRI studies. Molecular Psychiatry 21, 500-508.
- Schmaal, L., et al. 2016. Cortical abnormalities in adults and adolescents with major depression based on brain scans from 20 cohorts worldwide in the ENIGMA Major Depressive Disorder Working Group. Molecular Psychiatry. In Press.
- Harrison, B.J., et al. 2013. Brain corticostriatal systems and the major clinical symptom dimensions of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Biological Psychiatry 73, 321-328.
- Fornito, A., Harrison, B.J., Zalesky, A., Simons, J.S., 2012. Competitive and cooperative dynamics of large-scale brain functional networks supporting recollection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109, 12788-12793.
Social and Affective NeuroDevelopment Group
Group leader: A/Prof. Sarah Whittle, PhD
- Whittle S, Vijayakumar N, Simmons JG, Dennison M, Schwartz O, Pantelis C, Sheeber L, Byrne ML, Allen NB. Role of Positive Parenting in the Association Between Neighborhood Social Disadvantage and Brain Development Across Adolescence. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74(8):824–832
- Paul B. Badcock, Christopher G. Davey, Sarah Whittle, Nicholas B. Allen, Karl J. Friston, The Depressed Brain: An Evolutionary Systems Theory, Trends in Cognitive Sciences, Volume 21, Issue 3, 2017, Pages 182-194
- Richmond, Johnson, Seal, Allen and Whittle. (2016). Development of brain networks and relevance of environmental and genetic factors: A systematic review. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews 71, 215-239.
- Vijayakimar, Allen, Youssef, Dennison, Yucel, Simmons, Whittle. (2016). Brain development during adolescence: a mixed-longitudinal investigation of cortical thickness, surface area, and volume. Human Brain Mapping 36(7), 2027–2038.
- Whittle et al. (2014). Structural brain development and depression onset during adolescence: a longitudinal, prospective study. The American Journal of Psychiatry 171(5): 564-571.
- Whittle et al. (2013). Childhood maltreatment and psychopathology affect brain development during adolescence. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry I52: 940-952.
- Cheetham et al. (2012). Orbitofrontal Volumes in Early Adolescence Predict Initiation of Cannabis Use: A 4-Year Longitudinal and Prospective Study. Biological Psychiatry 71(8): 684-92.
Systems Neuropsychiatry Group
Group leader: Dr Andrew Zalesky, PhD.
- Cropley VL, Klauser P, Lenroot RK, Bruggemann J, Sundram S, Bousman C, Pereira A, Di Biase MA, Weickert TW, Weickert CS, Pantelis C, Zalesky A (2017) Accelerated gray and white matter deterioration with age in schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry. 174(3):286-295.
- Sotiropoulos S, Zalesky A (2017) Building connectomes using diffusion MRI: why, how and but. NMR in Biomedicine.
- Fornito A, Zalesky A, Bullmore E. (2016). Fundamentals of Brain Network Analysis, Academic Press (Elsevier). 450+ page authored textbook. Resides in top-10% most read neuroscience books published by Elsevier in 2016.
- Zalesky A et al., (2014). Time-resolved resting-state brain networks. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111, 10341-10346.
- Zalesky A et al., (2012). Effects of long term cannabis use on axonal fibre connectivity. Brain 135, 2245-2255.
- Fornito A, Zalesky A, Breakspear M. (2015). The connectomics of brain disorders. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 16, 159-172.
- Zalesky A et al., (2015). Delayed development of brain connectivity in adolescents with schizophrenia and their unaffected siblings. JAMA Psychiatry 72; 900-908.
Gene-Environment Neuropsychiatry Group
Group leader: Dr Chad Bousman, MPH, PhD
- Bousman CA and Hopwood M. (2016). Commercial pharmacogenetic-based decision support tools in psychiatry. The Lancet Psychiatry, 3(6): 585-90. (Impact Factor = 11.59)
- Liu, C*, Bousman CA*, Pantelis, C, Skafidas E, Zhang D, Yue W, Everall IP. (2017). Pathway-wide association study identifies five shared pathways associated with schizophrenia in three ancestral distinct populations. Translational Psychiatry, 7, e1037. (Impact Factor = 4.73)
- Liu, Bousman et al. (2017). Pathway-wide association study identifies five shared pathways associated with schizophrenia in three ancestral distinct populations. Translational Psychiatry 7(2), e1037.
- Bousman et al. (2017). Polygenic phenotypic plasticity moderates the effects of severe childhood abuse on depressive symptom severity in adulthood: A 5-year prospective cohort study. The World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, 18(1): 75-81.
- Bousman and Hopwood. (2016). Commercial pharmacogenetic-based decision support tools in psychiatry. The Lancet Psychiatry, 3(6): 585-90.
- Bousman et al. (2013). Effects of NRG1 and DAOA genetic variation on transition to psychosis in individuals at ultra-high risk for psychosis. Translational Psychiatry, 3(4), e251.
- Singh, Bousman, et al. (2012). ABCB1 Polymorphism Predicts Escitalopram Dose Needed for Remission in Major Depression. Translational Psychiatry, 2(11), e198.