Department of Surgery Seeding Grants 2018
SEEDING GRANTS APPLICATION OPENS MONDAY 13TH AUGUST
The Department of Surgery Executive have established a series of seeding grants that are funded from the Department of Surgery to provide funding of up to $20,000 to Early Career Researchers (ECRs) for research activities carried out within the Department of Surgery at the University of Melbourne.
The goals of the grant program are to:
- Generate pilot data to enable subsequent submission for major grants;
- The funding will be awarded to submissions that meet the above criteria and will:
- augment our research impact across the department;
- increase department success in grant applications.
- Applicants will be up to 7 years post-PhD unless career interruptions exist (as defined in 6.2.1 of the 2018 NHMRC Funding Rules). Applicants who do not hold a PhD but can demonstrate an equivalent research qualification or experience may also be eligible to apply. This is a qualification or experience equivalent to the level 10 criteria of the Australian Qualifications Framework Second Edition January 2013.
- Applicants will hold an honorary or fractional appointment with the Department of Surgery at the time of application.
- If a researcher submits multiple applications, all their applications will be ineligible.
- Not have been named CIA (or equivalent) on a funded NHMRC research support grant and/or an ARC research support grant (e.g. DECRA, Discovery projects).
- Not have been named CIA (or equivalent) on a funded research support grant from a national or international competitive grant totalling AU$250,000 or more. Note that the $250,000 limit is not cumulative.
- Applications open August 13, 2018;
- Applications close September 10, 2018;
- Panel will consider all applications received (September 17 – October 15);
- Successful applicants notified 20 October, 2018;
- Grants presented at Department of Surgery Research Day – 13 November, 2018;
- Commencement of project – 1 January 2019;
- Completion of project – 31 December 2019;
- Scientific and financial reporting (as per template to be provided) – 30 June 2020;
A current CV must be included with your application. Please refer to the Seeding Grant Track Record and use one of the templates for this purpose.
The following documents are available on the Department of Surgery Website – please follow the links to access them: