The Shepparton Rural Clinical School (RCS) is adjacent to Goulburn Valley Health (GV Health).
The Shepparton Rural Clinical School (RCS) is adjacent to Goulburn Valley Health (GV Health). GV Health is an acute and extended care facility which provides Surgical, Medical, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Intensive Care and Psychiatry services as well as extended care and regional services. It has two smaller sites at Rushworth and Tatura with acute and aged care beds. GV Health provides community services that complement its inpatient role, such as Hospital in the Home (HitH), diabetes education, continence and aged care assessment, home based nursing and allied health.
Students have the constant support of dedicated Clinical Education Facilitators (CEFs) in the medical, surgical and emergency departments at GV Health and access to the Clinical Skills Lab with its high fidelity simulation equipment. Small group sizes create opportunities for one on one interaction with clinicians and the development of meaningful relationships between students and clinicians.
Living in the onsite accommodation provides easy access to the RCS, GV Health, Shepparton Medical Centre and Clinical Skills Lab – no chance of being late to class!
- Goulburn Valley Health has over 280 beds
- Approximately 32,000 patients seen by the Emergency Department annually
- Goulburn Valley Health Clinical Streams include: Child & Adolescent Health, Community Care, Emergency Medicine , General Medicine, Mental Health, Residential Aged Care, Surgical, Sub-Acute (encompassing Allied Health) and Women's Health
- Two hours from Melbourne
- Students have access to the Goulburn Valley Health Library which offers a loan collection of approximately 5,000 books and 1200 journal titles
- The Shepparton Medical Centre is the first purpose built teaching clinic in Australia and was developed to support the Rural Clinical School
- Wireless computer access throughout the Clinical School and accommodation
- Where is the Shepparton Rural Clinical School located and how do I get there?
The Shepparton Rural Clinical School is adjacent to Goulburn Valley Health in Shepparton, two hour's drive North of Melbourne.
Regular train services to Melbourne make weekend trips home easy and affordable for students, family and friends.
Greater Shepparton is synonymous with great food, wine, waterways and glorious weather. The region boasts a diversity of cultural, outdoor and sporting activities and all the attractions of a regional city. Exploring the region you will discover an array of farm gates and cellar doors with everything from wine, olives and cheese to chocolate-coated apples, waiting to be tasted. Visit historic towns, check out the numerous studios and galleries, or enjoy Shepparton's great shopping experience.
- What can I expect to be doing day-to-day?
Every day can be different, depending on the term the students are undertaking. Students rotate through wards, theatres and specialist and general practice clinics. Students spend time on the various wards with dedicated Clinical Education Facilitators (CEFs) and are integrated into the team working with consultants, registrars and interns. Many of the clinics provide students with the opportunity for one on one consultation with patients. Students also attend tutorials, lectures, seminars, grand rounds and clinical skills sessions.
- What does the student accommodation offer?
The Rural Health campus provides subsidised, fully furnished, self-catering student accommodation on site at the Clinical School.
Graham Street has six two storey units each with 11 bedrooms. The 11 bedrooms share five bathrooms and a communal cooking and living area. The kitchen, dining and living areas are located on the ground floor along with four bedrooms, two bathrooms, laundry and a separate toilet. Upstairs there are seven bedrooms, three bathrooms and a storage room.
- Fully equipped kitchens including dishwashers
- A telephone and internet connection in each bedroom
- Washing machines and dryers are located in the laundry
- Off-street parking
- Wheelchair access in all areas in Shepparton. Close proximity to school and hospital
Kilpatrick Avenue has 2 units. Unit 1 has six double rooms and one room large enough for a couple.
- A large well appointed kitchen with two stoves, two microwaves, fridges and a roomy walk in pantry
- One shower room, one full bathroom and two separate toilets
- A good sized laundry with two washing machines and two dryers
- A separate study room has Wireless Internet connection, three computers and a pay phone
- All bedrooms have Wireless Internet connection
Unit 2 has five individual double bedrooms.
- One disabled bathroom including a toilet, one shower and basin room, and a separate toilet.
- One bathroom is accessed from a bedroom
- Small furnished lounge
The school provides the best hands on learning and support environment and everyone knows who you are – it makes a big difference. Katie Pilkington – Shepparton Rural Clinical School Student 2010