MD students wishing to enrol in a PhD must have completed one of the following:
- A four-year Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline which includes a substantial research component equivalent to at least 25 percent of one year of full-time study and have achieved a minimum weighted average of 80 percent (University of Melbourne) or equivalent.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline which includes a substantial research component equivalent to at least 25 percent of one year of full-time study and achieved a minimum weighted average of 80 percent (University of Melbourne) or equivalent.
- Successful completion of required MD research coursework from the first three years of the four-year Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree (or equivalent).
- A qualification and professional experience considered to be equivalent.
Applicants must also have completed the following:
- At least the first year of the Melbourne MD.
- An MD-PhD pathway proposal to be completed with the support of the MD-PhD course advisor, and endorsed by a prospective PhD supervisor.
International students who are interested in the MD-PhD should seek advice from the International Admissions Office in relation to their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and visa implications.
It is important to note that meeting these requirements does not automatically guarantee selection as a PhD candidate. Each application and proposal will be assessed on its individual merits.
Each student will work with their clinical school, course adviser and RTA mentors to identify the right point at which to commence their doctoral research program, to integrate aspects of the two programs, and to ensure good progress in both research and clinical training while maintaining personal well-being.
To assist with application and entry to the program, students will be asked to:
- Have an early consultation with a course advisor to tailor their proposed MD-PhD program to their needs, in consultation with the Director of their clinical school.
- Provide a draft pathway proposal describing their intended program over the duration of the MD-PhD pathway.
Enquiries regarding pathway eligibility and the application process should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.