As Head of the Department of Radiology it is my pleasure to welcome you. The Department consists of all University of Melbourne Radiology Departments including Austin Hospital, Mercy Hospital, Peter MacCallum, Royal Children’s Hospital, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Royal Women’s Hospital, St Vincent’s Hospital, and Western Hospital. The Department also includes the Melbourne Brain Centre Imaging Unit (MBCIU) in the Melbourne Brain Centre where our state-of-the-art PET-CT scanner and 7T MRI scanner are located and the Centre for Research Excellence in Neuroimaging led by Professor Roland Bammer.
We are proud to be the first established University Department of Radiology in Australia in 1965, with the appointment of William S C Hare as the Foundation Edgar Rouse Professor. We offer the highest quality of clinical care in medical imaging, collaborative research and clinical trial opportunities for our patients and radiologists, and unparalleled educational experiences for students and professionals in radiology.
The Department provides teaching to the Melbourne Medical School’s flagship course, the Doctor of Medicine, and offers the Master of Medicine (Radiology) to trainees in accredited Radiology training positions across Victoria. The postgraduate qualification has been carefully designed to meet the educational requirements of both the University and Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists.
Please feel free to browse our website and contact us for further information on our education and research opportunities in Radiology.
Professor Patricia Desmond
Head of Department of Radiology
Transforming patient care with collaborative imaging research
The Department of Radiology will improve translational research imaging capabilities and capacity through:
- Maximising research collaboration between sites and with our clinicians
- Providing research opportunities and support for our members
- Building the next generation of imaging researchers and clinician-scientists in imaging
- Maximising imaging capabilities of the 7T MRI
- Harnessing big data in imaging through collaboration with the Centre for Digital Transformation of Health
- Enhanced engagement including interfaculty (Engineering and Science), established international imaging alliances, and opportunities presented by the Centre for Research Excellence in Neuroimaging
- Enhanced education, training and professional development opportunities for a highly skilled imaging workforce and engagement with the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists
Our team combines excellence in all aspects of modern diagnostic and interventional imaging. We rely heavily on the contributions of our large team associated with the discipline of Radiology.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Melbourne Medical School is proud to foster a vibrant and inclusive culture delivering initiatives that value and support diversity.
For more information contact:
Department of Radiology
Melbourne Medical School
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne
Parkville, Vic, 3010, AUSTRALIA
General enquiries: +61 3 9035 3364