Student Support

Students completing rural placements face a range of unique stressors and challenges. Fortunately there are a variety of support services available for current University of Melbourne students to access and stay well. Services are accessible across rural campus locations, as well as at the Parkville campus.

  • Health & Wellbeing Practitioner (rural)

    Your time in the Rural Clinical School provides terrific opportunities to learn and grow, both personally and professionally. For some it can also prove challenging for a variety of reasons. The service can be accessed for a range of individualised support, from discussing strategies to stay well, study pressures, referral to other support providers, isolation, relationship issues, to concerns regarding mental health, bullying or harassment in the medicine environment, or life in general.
    As a student with the RCS, you can access free health and wellbeing support from a qualified practitioner (Psychologist or Social Worker) providing short to medium term social, psychological, and emotional support.

    Students may arrange an appointment with the rural based Health and Wellbeing Practitioner via a secure

    online booking portal

    You are welcome to contact us with any queries, to schedule an appointment directly, or if having difficulties with the booking system:

    Lisa Power
    Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri
    Wangaratta, Shepparton, Echuca & ERC
    PH: 0435 588 863

    Dr Hannah Sloan
    Mon, Tues, alt. Wed
    Bendigo & Ballarat
    PH: 0428 933 952

    For further information about other support services, see your student handbook or click below.

    Student Support

  • Stop 1

    Stop 1 is a directory where students can find information and student services whether online, on the phone or in person. Stop 1 can help you with admissions, enrolment, course planning, administration, support services and skills and development.  For further information call P: 13 MELB (13 6352) or click below.

    Stop 1

  • Financial Aid

    Student Support Financial Aid provides student loans, advice and advocacy around Government student payments, grants based on financial need (including housing/rent assistance grants) and welfare support. You may book an appointment to speak with a specialist staff member.

    Financial Aid

  • Housing

    Student Housing provides support in arranging temporary accommodation, tenancy advice or emergency accommodation.


  • Student Equity and Disability Support (SEDS)

    Student Equity and Disability Support is available for students who may require reasonable and equitable adjustments to their studies due to disability and/or health conditions. Adjustments may include Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) or Academic Adjustment Plans (AAP). Students must register with SEDS in order to be considered for any academic or exam related adjustments. This can be done through Stop 1 and involves a face to face or phone meeting with an Adviser.


  • Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

    The Counselling and Psychological Services are based in Parkville, though offer phone sessions for students based rurally. Appointments for individual counselling sessions can be made online or via phone. Students may also wish to access the range of online resources available, including information regarding different mental health issues, audio tracks and interactive online programs. For more information about these services, call CAPS on: 61 (3) 8344 6927 or click below: