The Department of Surgery make honorary appointments in recognition of significant, sustained contributions to our work in the areas of learning and teaching; research and research training; engagement; and professional practice and leadership. Our honorary staff will be expected to enact the Melbourne Medical School’s values of commitment, integrity, compassion, respect and service; to perform at the highest standard; and to acknowledge their affiliation with the Department of Surgery (University of Melbourne) in relevant publications and presentations.
Please go to: Honorary Titles which is the public website for honorary titles here at the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences. If you already have a honorary title, (with an email address and login) you will have access to the full website – go to:
MDHS Honorary Site
Individuals awarded honorary appointments are not obliged to perform any specific work for the University, but are expected to contribute to the teaching and research or general betterment of the University through voluntary activities. These individuals are not provided with remuneration for their service.
Continuation of the appointment will be based on the Honorary Fellow continuing to fulfil the criteria for which they were appointed by maintaining an ongoing and meaningful contribution to The University of Melbourne, and is assessed on an annual basis.
Professorial appointments are made for a 3 year period, and a case must be made for renewal at the end of each period.
Honorary Fellows are required to acknowledge The University of Melbourne as their affiliated organisation on all their research outputs, in addition to their other professional affiliations. This process is particularly important for research publications, and the University will collect publications data for its honorary staff on an annual basis (attributing your publication to the University of Melbourne in the capacity of your honorary appointment does not preclude (or in any way diminish) the attribution to any other institution to which you are affiliated should that also be appropriate).
New and Renewal of Honorary Titles
All new and renewal of LEVEL D (Associate Professor level) and LEVEL E (Professorial level) honorary titles will only be considered periodically in line with the Faculty and University Promotions Committees.
Please contact your appropriate Precinct EA prior to putting together your application.
Completed documentation will need to be submitted to the Precinct EA one (1) month before the date listed below for application due dates (for 2023):
Please note: These dates could be subject to confirmation pending updates from HR.
APPLICATION DUE DATES
Documents to be received by Professor Stephen O'Leary via Cassie at: Cassandra.firstname.lastname@example.org
ACADEMIC TITLES COMMITTEE DERERMINATION DATES FOR 2023 (Level D&E)
DUE TO HR AND APPLICANTIONS MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED VIA HUGS
|Monday 27th February||Monday 27th March||Monday 24th April|
|Friday 21st April |
|Monday 26th April|
|Level D - 20th June 2023|
Level E - 5th June 2023
|Monday 3rd July||Monday 31st July||Monday 21st August|
|Monday 25th September||Monday 23rd October||Monday 13th November|
Benefits of having an Honorary Appointment with the Department of Surgery
- Formalises the relationship with the University
- You may include your details on the University’s Find an Expert database which provides a dynamic and reliable source of information about the research and scholarship of staff at the University of Melbourne
- For all purposes of courtesy, and on ceremonial occasions, honorary appointees are regarded as members of the University but are not, by virtue of the office, a member of the Academic Board or of any Faculty
- Honorary appointees may use their honorary title during the term of their appointment when carrying out any activity which forms part of their contribution to the University of Melbourne
- Support for Research Activities:
- Access to the Melbourne Clinical and Translational Science (MCATS) platform that aims to provide researchers both from within the university and to our affiliated partner’s access to high quality research methodological capabilities. In an ever increasing competitive research funding environment, alongside rapidly evolving complex research methods, access to experts to support grant applications and clinical trials is vital. MCATS offers support services in Biostatistics, Health Economics, Health Informatics, Research Integrity and Quality to strengthen the quality and efficiency of health service research and clinical trials
- Honorary Appointments have access to all University of Melbourne research resources. The Medicine Dentistry and Health Sciences (MDHS) Research Development team has developed a guide to research related services at the University of Melbourne. The guide is titled "Ready to Research" and intends to, at a high level, direct research focussed staff - towards the most pertinent research related services and resources available to the Faculty (without needing to understand the vast array of UoM portfolios and local terminology). This guide is now live and is available for all staff via the Research Development intranet page. I would encourage you to explore this link (and bookmark it) for future reference.
Go to: https://staff.unimelb.edu.au/research
Please note: You will need to use your University of Melbourne staff login to access this site.
- Honorary appointees may obtain a staff card
- Honorary appointees may have access to the University's information facilities, including library resources and borrowing rights
- Honorary appointees may have access to the University's electronic communication network (for example IT access, Themis access and email access)
- The University will ensure that its insurance provisions provide honorary appointees with the same level of cover as academic staff receive when honorary appointees are undertaking activities directly related to their appointment for the University
- Honorary appointees are eligible to join University House, the staff club of the University (eligible for both full and restricted membership). Membership of the club provides access to the amenities of both University House(main campus) and University House at the Woodward (Pelham St, Carlton) which offer licensed lounge and café/dining facilities
Department of Surgery Honorary Titles
A full listing of the Department of Surgery Honorary Staff can be found below.
Honorary Email - resetting password
Many of the sites detailed above, will require your University login to fully access the material – if you have forgotten your password or need to reset it please call 8344 0888 for assistance.
|Michelle Chu - Royal Melbourne Hospitalemail@example.com|
|Toni Ardino - St Vincent's Hospitalfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Julie Miller- Austin Healthemail@example.com|
|Fiona Allen - Ophthalmologyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Cassandra Lewis-Radimisis - Otolaryngology
|Anna Bogusz - Western Healthemail@example.com|
|Caron Israelsohn - Royal Children's Hospitalfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Michelle Marcola - Northern Healthemail@example.com|