Clinical Diabetes and Epidemiology Group
Professor Jonathan Shaw
The Clinical Diabetes and Epidemiology group has two main focuses.
The first relates to the epidemiology of type 2 diabetes, examining trends in prevalence and incidence of diabetes (predominantly type 2) in Australia as well as the rest of the world. The work in this area, pioneered by Professor Paul Zimmet, has been instrumental in demonstrating the rapid growth of the emerging global diabetes epidemic. The surveys undertaken for this work also provide rich data for interrogating a range of putative and novel risk factors for diabetes and its complications, of which lifestyle factors have been studied extensively and remain an important target. The group also has a specific interest in the impact of diabetes on indigenous populations.
The second focus capitalises on the large patient population in our Diabetes Clinic. This facilitates examination of novel treatments, and of observational data on real world responses to therapies.
- Trends in diabetes prevalence and incidence.
- Identifying novel risk factors for type 2 diabetes and its complications at a population level.
- Diabetes and indigenous health.
- Novel therapies for diabetes.
- Professor Jonathan Shaw, Deputy Director (Clinical and Population Health), Baker Institute
- Dr Liz Barr, Post doctoral researcher
- Dr Lei Chen, Post doctoral researcher
- Professor Dianna Magliano, Laboratory head
- Dr Anne Reutens, Clinician researcher
- Dr Julian Sacre, Post doctoral researcher
- Ms Nila Khalkhali, Research assistant
- Ms Maria Lawton, Research coordinator
- Ms Robyn Veljanovski, Research coordinator
- Mrs Elena Vulikh, Research coordinator
- Ms Alexandra Eckert, Research assistant
- Mr Jedidiah Morton, PhD student
- Ms Oyunchimeg Buyadaa, PhD student
- La Trobe University
- Monash University
- Deakin University
- Centre for Eye Research Australia
- Australian Centre for Behavioural Research in Diabetes
- National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- Centers for Disease Control
This research project is available to PhD students, Honours students to join as part of their thesis.
Please contact the Research Group Leader to discuss your options.
1. Sacre J, Magliano DJ, Shaw JE. Heart failure hospitalisation relative to major atherosclerotic events in type 2 diabetes with versus without chronic kidney disease: a meta-analysis of cardiovascular outcomes trials. Diabetes & Metabolism. 2021;17;101249
2. Magliano DJ, Chen L, Islam RM, Carstensen B, Gregg EW, Pavkov ME, Andes LJ, Balicer R, Baviera M, Boersma-van Dam E, Booth GL, Chan JCN, Chua YX, Fosse-Edorh S, Fuentes S, Gulseth HL, Gurevicius R, Hwa Ha KH, Hird TR, Jermendy G, Khalangot MD, Kim DJ, Kiss Z, Kravchenko VI, Leventer-Roberts M, Lin CY, Luk AOY, Mata-Cases M, Mauricio D, Nichols GA, Nielen MM, Pang D, Paul SK, Pelletier C, Pildava S, Porath A, Read SH, Roncaglioni MC, Ruiz PLD, Shestakova M, Vikulova O, Wang KL, Wild SH, Yekutiel N, Shaw JE. Trends in the incidence of diagnosed diabetes: a multicountry analysis of aggregate data from 22 million diagnoses in high-income and middle-income settings. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2021;9(4):203-211
3. Radavelli-Bagatini S, Anokye R, Bondonno NP, Sim M, Bondonno CP, Stanley MJ, Harms C, Woodman R, Magliano DJ, Shaw JE, Daly RM, Hodgson JM, Lewis JR, Blekkenhorst LC. Association of habitual intake of fruits and vegetables with depressive symptoms: the AusDiab Study. 2021. European Journal of Nutrition. doi: 10.1007/s00394-021-02532-0. [Epub ahead of print]
4. Sacre JW, Harding JL, Shaw JE* Magliano DJ* [*Joint senior authors] Declining mortality in older people with type 2 diabetes masks rising excess risks at younger ages: A population-based study of all-cause and cause-specific mortality over 13 years. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2021. doi: 10.1093/ije/dyaa270. [Epub ahead of print]
5. The Lancet Commission on diabetes: using data to transform diabetes care and patient lives. The Lancet Commissions 2021 Dec 19;396(10267):2019-2082
6. Morton J, Ilomӓki J, Magliano DJ, Shaw JE. The Association of Socioeconomic Disadvantage and Remoteness with Receipt of Type 2 Diabetes Medications in Australia: A Nationwide Registry Study. Diabetologia. 2021 Feb;64(2):349-360.
7. Sacre JW, Magliano DJ, Shaw JE. Incidence of Hospitalization for Heart Failure Relative to Major Atherosclerotic Events in Type 2 Diabetes: A Meta-analysis of Cardiovascular Outcomes Trials. Diabetes Care. 2020 Oct;43(10):2614-2623
8. Morton JI, Liew D, McDonald SP, Shaw JE*, Magliano DJ* [*Joint senior authors]. The Association Between Age of Onset of Type 2 Diabetes with Long-term Risk of End Stage Kidney Disease: A National Registry Study. Diabetes Care. 2020;43(8):1788-1795.
9. Chen L, Islam RM, Wang J, Hird TR, Pavkov ME, Gregg EW, Salim A, Tabesh M, Koye DN, Harding JL, Sacre JW, Barr ELM, Magliano DJ*, Shaw JE* [*Joint senior authors] A systematic review of trends in all-cause mortality among people with diabetes. Diabetologia. 2020;63(9):1718-1735
10. Magliano DJ, Sacre J, Harding J, Gregg E, Zimmet P, Shaw JE, Young-onset type 2 diabetes mellitus — implications for morbidity and mortality. Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 2020;16(6):321-331
11. Buyadaa O, Magliano DJ, Salim A, Koye DN, Shaw JE. Risk of Rapid Kidney Function Decline, All-Cause Mortality, and Major Cardiovascular Events in Nonalbuminuric Chronic Kidney Disease in Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2020 ;43(1):122-129
12. Magliano DJ, Islam RM, Barr ELM, Gregg EW, Pavkov ME, Harding JL, Tabesh M, Koye DN, Shaw JE. Trends in incidence of total or type 2 diabetes: systematic review. BMJ. 2019;366:l5003.
13. Koye, DN, Magliano DJ, Reid, CM, Pavkov ME, Chadban SJ, McDonald SP, Polkinghorne KR, White S, Paul C & Shaw JE. Trends in Incidence of ESKD in People with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in Australia, 2002-2013. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2019;73(3):300-308.
This Research Group doesn't currently have any projects
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Deputy Director (Clinical and Population Health), Baker Institute Professor Jonathan Shaw
Department / Centre
Baker Department of Cardiometabolic Health Research
Unit / Centre
Clinical Diabetes and Epidemiology Group Cardiac Cellular Systems
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.