Professor Lisa Bourke
Dr. Kristen Glenister
Longitudinal study of health, disease and access to care in rural Victoria: the Crossroads follow up study.
The Crossroads II study 2016-2018 is a population health study that repeats the original Crossroads I study undertaken in 2001-2003. Crossroads is one of the most detailed health studies undertaken in rural Australia providing vital health data to local services for service planning and improvement in the region and to attract funding to help meet local needs.
3,600 households were randomly selected and visited by trained research assistants. Of these, 1,900 households (overall response rate 59%) agreed to participate in the study with a total of 2,680 adults completing a detailed health questionnaire asking about health conditions, service use, concerns about health and demographic questions. Following, 743 of those adults surveyed attended a 2-hour health screening clinic that included assessment of dental health, lung function, mental health, liver health, hearing, body mass index, cardiovascular health and cognitive function.
This study compares rates of self-reported, undiagnosed and under-managed chronic disease between the baseline (2001-2003) and the current (2016-2018) study periods. The study also compares the self-reported waiting times and other barriers to accessing primary care, community services, dentistry, allied health, mental health, and specialist care. The data will be used for service planning and improvement in the region.
- Professor Lisa Bourke, Department of Rural Health, University of Melbourne
- Dr. Kristen Glenister, Department of Rural Health, University of Melbounre
- Professor David Simmons, Western Sydney University & Department of Rural Health, University of Melbourne
- Professor Mike Morgan, Melbourne Dental School, University of Melbourne
- Professor Stuart Roberts, Alfred Health
- Professor Dianna Magliano, Baker Heart Disease and Diabetes Institute
- Professor Rodrigo Marino, Melbourne Dental School, University of Melbourne
- Professor Bill Adam, Department of Rural Health, University of Melbourne
- Associate Professor William Kemp, Alfred Health
- Ms Leigh Rhode, Gateway Health
- Associate Professor Ravi Bhat, Department of Rural Health, University of Melbourne
Goulburn Valley Health
Primary Care Connect
Cobram District Health
Goulburn Valley Primary Care Partnership
Greater Shepparton City Council
This research was funded by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and the local health and community partners listed above. The research acknowledges the Australian Government Department of Health's Rural Health Multidisciplinary Training Program.
Crossroads II 2016-2018 reports are available below (following publication). The Community Reports for Crossroads I 2001-2003 are also linked below.
Crossroads II - Summary reports
Crossroads II - Full Reports
Crossroads I Reports
Glenister K, Bourke L, Terry D, Simmons D. Chronic ill health in a regional Victoria setting: A 13‐year comparison. Aust. J. Rural Health. 2019;00:1–8. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajr.12565
Glenister KM, Bourke L, Bolitho L, Wright S, Roberts S, Kemp W, Rhode L, Bhat R, Tremper S, Magliano DJ, Morgan M, Marino R, Adam W, Simmons D. Longitudinal study of health, disease and access to care in rural Victoria: the Crossroads-II study: methods. BMC Public Health 2018 18:670.