This page is intended to provide an initial reference point for medical students applying for internship or house officer positions in Australia or overseas.


This page is intended to provide an initial reference point for medical students applying for internship or house officer positions in Australia or overseas. We recognise that finding and applying for internship positions is not always an easy task, as up-to-date information about specific positions and vacancies is required and this information is subject to constant change. This page aims to point you in the right direction with websites and contact details to assist you in locating an appropriate position. However if you find a good source of accurate, up-to-date information, please let us know so that we can include it on this page and pass it on to other students.

Working as a medical practitioner in Australia

A 12-month, full-time internship (PGY1) at a recognised hospital is necessary to secure unconditional registration as a medical practitioner in Australia. The number of internships and funding for these positions is broadly controlled by the Department of Health or Human Services in each state/territory, and reflects the service needs of the intern training institutions and the number of graduates in each state who are Australian citizens or who have permanent resident status. Each state varies as to whether application for internship is made to the Health Department, a postgraduate medical council or individual hospitals.

The MDHS Faculty’s five Clinical Schools provide information and assistance with the internship application process during the course of your study with them. Here are some links to further sources of information on the process:

Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria (PMCV)

This website is the main source of up-to-date information and deadline dates for internship applications to Victoria. All hospitals offer their intern positions to applicants through the Intern Computer Matching service, conducted by the Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria on behalf of the Department of Human Services. If you are considering applying for an intern position in Victoria, it is essential that you familiarise yourself with the application procedures, schedule of dates and information on all hospitals accepting interns on the PMCV’s website:

Australian Medical Students' Association (AMSA)

This association publishes an extremely useful booklet each year called the Internship and Residency Guide. This publication can be found on their website here.

Note to international students graduating from an Australian medical course: International students are not guaranteed Australian internships. However, in 2012 an estimated 75% of graduating international students who applied were offered internships in Victorian hospitals for 2013, with a small number offered internships in other Australian states.

Specialist training

Australian universities do not have responsibility for the training for medical practitioners wishing to become specialists. Programs of training, examinations and the standards of performance to be achieved are set and administered individually by the recognised specialist medical colleges.

Entry to the various specialties requires the completion of an accredited internship, postgraduate study, experience in approved hospitals and the passing of examinations, administered by the specialist colleges.

For a summary of the specialist medical training in Australia, please visit the following links:

AVANT Careers in Medicine Handbook, Hunter Postgraduate Medical InstituteAMC Recognition of Medical SpecialtiesAMSA Guide

Working as a medical practitioner in other countries

The process of qualifying and registering overseas as a medical practitioner who has graduated from an Australian medical course varies from country to country. Please visit the following links for more information about the following countries.

Canada (The Medical Council of Canada)
Hong Kong (The Medical Council of Hong Kong)
Malaysia (The Malaysian Medical Council)
New Zealand (Medical Council of New Zealand)
Singapore (Singapore Medical Council)
United Kingdom (UK National Health Service)
United States of America (The IMG's Guide to US Medicine and Residency Training)