- VicREN is seeking members of the public and primary care providers to provide advice to the Department of General Practice's Data Driven Quality Improvement research group, and to the Future Health Today program of work, for more information contact us.
Terms of Reference and Expression of Interest
- Data driven quality improvement consumer Special Interest Group (PDF 640.0 KB)
- Expression of Interest to join Advisory groups
(DOCX 405.3 KB)
NEWS and Recruitment opportunities for primary care providers (clinicians or practice staff)
- Monitoring the evolving COVID picture and adjusting processes as necessary: Click here to read letter for VicREN Chair and Head of Department Prof Lena Sanci (posted 23 Feb 2021)
- Do you provide care for pregnant women in Victoria? We want to hear from you! The Health Protection Branch of the Department of Health and Human Services is evaluating the service delivery of interventions for vaccine preventable infections (pertussis, influenza and hepatitis B) in pregnancy in Victoria. Please click here for more information and/or to complete this 10 minutes survey. Download the cover letter or read more here (Posted 19 February 2021)
- Requesting GPs in greater Melbourne to refer persons recovered from COVID-19 or their close contacts to a longitudinal study to help develop understanding of the (1) factors making a person susceptible to COVID-19, and (2) severity of the illness they might develop. Download the patient flyer and clinic poster: See also wehi.edu.au/covid-profile. (Posted January 2021, valid to March 2021).
- Seeking Melbourne and Perth GPs from family friendly practices to be associated investigators in the ASAVI pharyngitis surveillance study. Email for more information or to register your interest. Practice incentive payments and other benefits apply to participating practices. (Posted January 2021, valid to March 2021).
- Seeking GPs with and without experience caring for patients after they have been discharged from Melbourne ICUs. Developing a new model of care to optimise health outcomes for ICU survivors after discharge from hospital. Please read the participant information and consent form for details (Posted December 2020, valid to March 2021).
- Seeking general practices to be part of a Future Health Today trial from September 2021. Click here to view the trial explanatory video (1min 50 sec). Email for more information or to register your interest. Practice incentive payments and other benefits apply to participating practices. (Posted October 2020, valid to August 2021).
- Seeking general practices to be part of Data for Decisions. This is an exciting, ongoing initiative that enables general practices to be involved in data-driven research without need for ongoing active staff involvement. An independent Data Governance Committee of GPs, consumers, practice managers, lawyer and others decides which ethically approved research projects can access fully de-identified primary care data for research. Involved practices are part of the VicREN e-practice-based research network. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
News and events
- VicREN member and academic GP A/Prof Jo-Anne Manski-Nankervis' Moth-style talk:
Jo-Anne's story should be listened to by medical students and doctors interested in pursuing research. It also provides poignant insight into the important role of general practitioners in the community. Click here for more information (Nov 2020).
- Legal and ethical perspectives on health data sharing: The third of our interactive online forums was attended by VicREN members and other interested GPs, practice managers and practice nurses. We had a guided conversation and Q&A session with three academic lawyers with expertise in health data sharing and clinical decision support tools and their regulation. (December 2020).
- The 12th annual Department of General Practice Research and Teaching Awards Night went ahead in a webinar format on the 20th October 2020. We had a jam packed hour facilitated by Dr Nick Carr. Our Hon Professor Michael Kidd AM gave the key note, followed by a chat with special guests about primary care in the next 10 years. Follow this link to find out who were the award winners from general practices.
- Informing Future Models of Care 23rd June 2020: The first of our interactive online forums to help shape general practice in the post-first wave of COVID-19 world was well attended. VicREN members and other interested GPs, practice managers and practice nurses joined VicREN Chair and Head of Department Prof Lena Sanci with special guests Dr Mukesh Haikerwal and Dr Andrew Baird. Insights were shared that informed our advocacy efforts in the escalation of issues to policy makers.
- VicREN member article helping GPs to respond to misinformation about coronavirus: “Coronavirus: Myths, open questions and overhyped treatments” (April 2020)
VicREN GP Dr Magdalena Simonis shared her article from RACGP’s News GP. Dr Simonis said: “There’s a lot of noise out there and GPs are being faced with all sorts of questions. I thought this might be of some help to our GP community.”
- Congratulations to the GPs, practice nurses and practice staff recognised at the Eleventh Annual Department of General Practice Research and Teaching Awards night for their excellent contribution to research and/or teaching. The VicREN research awards are a highlight of the year. (May 2019)