Please note minimum quotas apply to this topic
This topic explores the fundamentals of cancer sciences through a clinical approach. Students will explore defining disease mechanisms on the basis of patient scenarios to directly contextualise real-world relevance in areas such as treatment and pathology. The Discover Cancer topic is ideally suited to students with an interest in cancer care at all levels of the patient journey, as well as those who want to dig deeper in the biomedical science and pathology of cancer.
Intended Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an advanced knowledge of the molecular, cellular and morphological features of cancer.
- Explain the mechanisms that underpin cancer's development and pathophysiology.
- Align the knowledge of cancer mechanisms with different tumour types and the hallmarks of cancer that drive them.
- Describe the principles behind the different approaches to treatment of cancer.
- Recognise the importance of raising cancer awareness and the impact of cancer screening and early detection.