The University Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology is responsible for teaching Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Neonatal Paediatrics, to undergraduate medical students. Currently, each year approximately 300 medical students spend 9 weeks attached to the Department during the fifth year of their medical course. In addition, there are a number of higher degree students pursuing full-time or part-time research through the Department. These include Advanced Medical Science, Doctor of Medicine, Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy students.
The Vision of the Department is to be an internationally recognised centre of excellence for academic Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Neonatal Paediatrics, and its Mission is to provide a high quality academic service across a broad range of clinical, educational and research activities within its associated teaching hospitals, and especially at its major centres, the Royal Women's Hospital and the Mercy Hospital for Women.
Other associated teaching hospitals are the Sunshine Hospital in the western suburbs of Melbourne, in particular the Joan Kirner Women’s and Children’s at the Sunshine Hospital, the Northern Hospital to the North of Melbourne, and the Ballarat Hospital and Goulburn Valley Hospital (Shepparton), both of which are linked to the Rural Health Academic Centre.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology has a strong research base with a history of significant competitive grant funding success from external, peer reviewed, grant awarding bodies. Particular areas of current research strength include maternal fetal medicine, neonatal paediatrics, women's health, andrology, gynaecological oncology and reproductive biology.
Staff of the Department include clinical academics, research fellows, research assistants, administrative personnel and a large number of teaching associates associated with the various teaching hospitals involved in the Department's undergraduate teaching programme.
The origins of the University of Melbourne Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology can be traced back to 1924, when the Victorian Branch of the British Medical Association appointed a committee under the leadership of Dr J W Dunbar Hooper "to enquire into the condition of midwifery work" in Victoria.