Surgical Students Society of Melbourne SSSM
The Surgical Students’ Society of Melbourne (SSSM) was founded in 2009 by medical students eager to share their passion for surgery. Over a decade on, SSSM has grown into the peak surgical interest group at the University of Melbourne, representing over 1,400 students across metropolitan, regional and rural Victoria. Our society continues to work tirelessly to provide our students with high-quality surgical education, as well as a platform to enable communication between students, surgeons and other experts in the field.
The missions of our society broadly relates to three domains:
Education – we aim to maximise access to quality surgical education for all Melbourne Medical School students, including a unique Rotating Lecture Series, practical workshops, mentoring programs and a podcast series
Research – the society aims to promote research amongst medical students in order to foster a passion for surgical academia from the very start of their medical journey
Advocacy – the society strives to represent and advocate for all of our students, to ensure that their surgical interests, skills and education are wholly fulfilled
SSSM continually strives to achieve these missions in order to fulfil our vision of inspiring the next generation of world-class surgeons.
Looking back over the years, I am humbled by the achievements and milestones that were attained by our SSSM predecessors. To name a few of highlights of SSSM over the years:
- The Surgical Careers Night, which brings together surgeons from all different specialties of surgery to inspire and guide our students into their future
- Our Women in Surgery night, which provides a platform for female students, trainees and seniors at all stages of surgical training to come together and empower one another
- An annual poster competition, where students research themes such as anatomy or technology in surgery and present their findings in a research-style poster
- Surgical workshops at all seven clinical sites around Melbourne and regional/rural Victoria including: suturing, plastering, laparoscopy, chest drain insertion and trauma management
- The Rotating Lecture Series, a monthly lecture given by a renowned surgeon covering an area of surgery that is exciting and quite literally cutting-edge
- Our podcast series, The Time Out, where we interview surgeons to get an insight into their day-to-day lives and journey towards surgery
- A mentoring program, which pairs surgically inclined students with surgeons, to help further inspire their passion for surgery
- The SSSM Charity Calendar, which sells out every year at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, with all proceeds going towards enabling surgeons to provide surgical aid and education overseas
- SSSM’s involvement in national and international conferences such as MD Student Conference, Global Health Conference and the International Surgical Students Conference, holding surgical workshops and educational events
It is my great pleasure to introduce the 2021 SSSM Executive Committee who work behind the scenes to make this all possible!
President/Austin Site Chair – Damien Wu
Vice President Internal – Edward Benson
Vice President External – Jake Carmody
Secretary/Epworth Site Chair – Athanasia Siderellis
Treasurer/Northern Site Chair – Brenton Condor
Education Officer/St Vincent’s Site Chair – Ruiwen Xu
Diversity Officer/Western Site Chair – Chris Mackenzie
Department of Surgery Liaison – Dane Hicks
Publications & Promotions Officer – Kimia Pourhossein
Royal Melbourne Site Chair – Alexandra Jolley
Rural Site Chair – Jasraaj Singh
…And many more sub-committee members who are the back-bone of our society!
None of this would be possible without the support of our amazing sponsors such as the Department of Surgery at The University of Melbourne, MIPS, AMBOSS and Dr. Woof Apparel. To the Department of Surgery, we would like to thank you for your ongoing support over the past few years. Your guidance has been a vital part of SSSM’s ever-growing success and has helped us continue nurturing surgical interest at the Melbourne Medical School.
President, Surgical Students’ Society of Melbourne
Find us on Facebook at SSSMelbourne or on our website at www.sssmelbourne.com