Austin Clinical School
Austin Health comprises the Austin Hospital, Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital and the Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre.
The Austin Clinical School is part of a strong partnership between the Melbourne Medical School and the Austin Health Service. Austin Health comprises the Austin Hospital, Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital and the Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre.
The Austin Clinical School is based at the Austin Hospital in Heidelberg. Students spending their clinical years at the Austin Hospital are provided a brilliant opportunity to gain knowledge, to be inspired by leaders in the profession, and to gain exposure to an abundance of medical career options.
Austin Clinical School students will have the enviable opportunity to meet and work alongside many leading clinicians and researchers.
It is an ideal place to commence a career as a doctor. The hospital has an excellent record for success in physician and surgical training programs, an excellent list of specialty rotations, and close ties with local general practice clinics.
- One of Victoria's largest adult hospitals with over 400 acute beds
- 30 bed Intensive Care Unit
- New Emergency Department, including a specialist paediatric ED unit
- Purpose-built spinal unit
- Eight independent research institutions are based at Austin Health, where leading research on cancer, diabetes, respiratory disease, liver disease, heart disease, stroke, epilepsy and psychiatry is conducted
- Olivia Newton-John Cancer & Wellness Centre is a new, state-of-the-art comprehensive cancer treatment and research facility, with full access for students
- Mercy Hospital for Women adjoins the Austin Hospital and allows easy access for patients, staff and students
- The Clinical Skills Centre provides mannequins and models for simulated learning, including a fully computerized sim man model to practice critical scenarios for 'real-life' clinical training
- Where is the Austin Clinical School located and how do I get there?
The Austin Clinical School is located in the attractive north-eastern suburb of Heidelberg. The fourth floor of the Austin Tower building houses the education precinct including the student common room, clinical school offices, student computer laboratory, lecture theatre and tutorial rooms.
Only a 20 minute drive from the city and with easy access to trains or buses, it is easily accessible from the centre of Melbourne.
There is no allocated student car parking at Austin Clinical School. Limited short-term and all day parking is available in the local streets.
- What can I expect to be doing day-to-day and what are the normal hours?
Every day can be different, with rotations to different sites and units changing the schedule. At the Austin Clinical School, students attend tutorials, lectures and spend time on the wards. They will have the opportunity to work directly with patients and alongside leading specialists.
I was drawn to the Austin because of its reputation for having a very friendly environment and I have really thrived in the culture of warmth and inclusion.The clinical school staff are really encouraging and approachable. They offer extra tutorials when needed, feedback about our performance, ongoing guidance and constant support during times of stress.Phoebe Starr - Austin Student