The Ballarat Rural Clinical School ('Dunvegan') is adjacent to Ballarat Health Service (BHS) - Victoria's second largest regional health service.
The Ballarat Rural Clinical School ('Dunvegan') is adjacent to Ballarat Health Service (BHS) - Victoria's second largest regional health service. BHS provides a comprehensive range of general and specialist care across key medical and healthcare disciplines including Acute Care, Sub-Acute Care, Residential Aged Care Services, Community Care, Psychiatric Services, Dental Services and Rehabilitation Services.
The key services are based at two sites, the Base Hospital and the Queen Elizabeth Centre. Each site is located close to the central business district, with the remaining residential, day centres and community sites located throughout Ballarat.
Ballarat offers the best of both worlds for students - its proximity to Melbourne makes it close enough for frequent weekends home, and visits from family and friends. It's also large enough that the hospital covers all the 'bread and butter' medicine medical students need to thrive. At the same time, the country attitude means that clinicians are approachable, friendly, and happy to go the extra mile to help and teach students.
Living in the Ballarat Rural Clinical School accommodation provides easy access to "Dunvegan" and BHS. Plenty of bike paths means there is an environmentally friendly way to get where you want to go.
- Ballarat Health Service has over 790 beds
- Emergency Department sees over 52,000 patients annually
- Ballarat Health Service clinical streams include Acute Care, Sub-Acute Care, Residential Care, Community Care, Psychiatric Services, Rehabilitation Services
- One hour from Melbourne
- Students have access to the Clinical Skills Lab at Ballarat Health Service and its high fidelity simulation equipment.
- Access to the Ballarat Health Service Library
- Wireless IT connection throughout Midlands accommodation and "Dunvegan"
- Where is the Ballarat Rural Clinical School located and how do I get there?
The fast rail train service means a rail trip between Ballarat and Melbourne is close to 60 minutes, and it's only 90 minutes by car, making weekends in Melbourne easy and affordable.
Ballarat is one of the largest inland cities in Australia. With a population of over 90,000, there's most of the shopping and entertainment here that is found in Melbourne (just on a smaller scale!). Ballarat is also one of Victoria's premier tourist destinations attracting visitors for its gold and architectural heritage, parks and gardens and art and cultural activities. Ballarat is also close to the beach, with coastal towns like Geelong and Torquay only 60 minutes away by car.
- What can I expect to be doing day-to-day?
Every day can be different, depending on the term the students are undertaking. Students rotate through wards, theatres and specialist and general practice clinics. Students spend time on the various wards and are integrated into the team working with consultants, registrars and interns. Students also attend tutorials, lectures, seminars and clinical skills sessions.
- What does the student accommodation offer?
The Rural Health campus provides subsidised, fully furnished, self-catering student accommodation close to "Dunvegan".
Midlands House is a double storey facility approximately 4 kilometres from "Dunvegan".
- 34 furnished individual bedrooms
- Shared bathroom facilities
- Several lounge, dining and recreational areas
- Off-street parking
- Laundry facilities including washing machines, dryers, irons and ironing boards
- 1 large and 2 small kitchens including dishwashers, cooking equipment and utensils
- Security swipe card access to external doors and individual keys to bedrooms
- Shaded court yard area including a BBQ
- IGA Supermarket next door
Drummond Street is a Victorian weatherboard house which can accommodate up to 5 people. It is approximately 2 blocks from "Dunvegan" and one block from Ballarat Health Services.
- 4 bedrooms (3 individual and 1 shared bedroom)
- 1 bathroom
- 1 kitchen which includes a dishwasher, cooking equipment and utensils
- Laundry facilities including washing machine, dryer, iron and ironing board
- Off-street parking
- Large back yard
- 6 houses from Ballarat's main street (Sturt Street)
- Wheelchair access to all teaching facilities in Ballarat, although there may be some limitations regarding travel distance to accommodation.
The teaching really is sensational here. Many of the senior doctors take an interest in our learning and they lead bedside tutorials which my friends in the city don't get at all. I have not yet been turned away by a patient who doesn't want to talk to me because they have seen too many students; they are always hoping that we will learn something from them and are happy to help us here. The hospital is close to accommodation and there is minimal travel time, which leaves more time for doing everything else. Second Year MD Student, 2012