The cardiothoracic surgery unit performs all types of cardiac surgery and thoracic surgery. Operations at The Royal Melbourne Hospital as well as Melbourne Private Hospital. The multidisciplinary team includes surgeons, anaesthetists, perfusionists, intensive care and other associated specialties within the Royal Melbourne Hospital including cardiology oncology, radiation therapy and many more.
Across the two campuses, approximately 1100 cardiac surgery cases and approximately 400 thoracic surgery cases are performed.
Particular areas of interest:-
- Total arterial coronary artery bypass surgery
- Radial artery use as a coronary bypass conduit
- Sutureless aortic valve replacement
- Aortic aneurysm reconstruction
- The PEARS operation for aortic aneurysm
- Minimally invasive valve surgery
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery
Professor Alistair Royse
Mr Peter Skillington
Professor James Tatoulis
Mr John Goldblatt
Mr Robin Brown
Mr Philip Antippa
Mr Gavin Wright
Mr Simon Moten
Mr Michael O'Keeffe
Mr Stephen Barnett
Mr Ben Dunne
View Professor Alistair Royse's latest PubMed publications here
View Professor James Tatoulis's latest PubMed publications here
- Royse AG, El-Ansary D, Hoang W, Lui E, McCusker M, Tivendale L, Yang Y, Canty DJ and Royse CF. A randomized trial comparing the effects of sternal band and plate fixation of the sternum with that of figure-of-8 wires on sternal edge motion and quality of recovery after cardiac surgery. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2020;30:863-870.
- Royse AG, Boggett S, Abraham V and Royse CF. RARAY Operation: Operative Description and Early Results for Achieving Total Arterial Coronary Revascularisation. Heart Lung Circ. 2020.
- Royse A, Pamment W, Pawanis Z, Clarke-Errey S, Eccleston D, Ajani A, Wilson W, Canty D and Royse C. Patency of conduits in patients who received internal mammary artery, radial artery and saphenous vein grafts. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2020;20:148.
- Rocha RV, Tam DY, Karkhanis R, Wang X, Austin PC, Ko DT, Gaudino M, Royse A and Fremes SE. Long-term Outcomes Associated With Total Arterial Revascularization vs Non-Total Arterial Revascularization. JAMA Cardiol. 2020.
- Pengelly JMS, Royse AG, Bryant AL, Williams GP, Tivendale LJ, Dettmann TJ, Canty DJ, Royse CF and El-Ansary DA. Effects of Supervised Early Resistance Training versus standard care on cognitive recovery following cardiac surgery via median sternotomy (the SEcReT study): protocol for a randomised controlled pilot study. Trials. 2020;21:649.
- Tatoulis J. Commentary: Coronary surgery with a triple A rating: Total arterial is the best. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020.
- Taggart DP, Gaudino MF, Gerry S, Gray A, Lees B, Dimagli A, Puskas JD, Zamvar V, Pawlaczyk R, Royse AG, Flather M, Benedetto U and investigators ART. Effect of total arterial grafting in the Arterial Revascularization Trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020.
- Parameswaran R, Teuwen CP, Watts T, Nalliah CJ, Royse A, Goldblatt J, Larobina M, Sanders P, Kistler P, Orozco-Duque A, Lee G and Kalman JM. Functional Atrial Endocardial-Epicardial Dissociation in Patients With Structural Heart Disease Undergoing Cardiac Surgery. JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2020;6:34-44.
- Parameswaran R, Lee G, Morris GM, Royse A, Goldblatt J, Larobina M, Watts T, Nalliah CJ, Wong G, Al-Kaisey AM, Anderson RD, Voskoboinik A, Sugumar H, Chieng D, Sanders P, Kistler PM and Kalman JM. Simultaneous epicardial-endocardial mapping of the sinus node in humans with structural heart disease: Impact of overdrive suppression on sino-atrial exits. Heart Rhythm. 2020.
- Parameswaran R, Kalman JM, Royse A, Goldblatt J, Larobina M, Watts T, Walters TE, Nalliah CJ, Wong G, Al-Kaisey A, Anderson RD, Voskoboinik A, Sugumar H, Chieng D, Sanders P, Kistler PM, Gerstenfeld EP and Lee G. Endocardial-Epicardial Phase Mapping of Prolonged Persistent Atrial Fibrillation Recordings: High Prevalence of Dissociated Activation Patterns. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2020.
- Katijjahbe MA, Denehy L, Granger CL, Royse A, Royse C, Logie S, Sturgess T, Md Ali NA, McManus M, Sandy CE and El-Ansary D. Psychometric evaluation of the shortened version of the Functional Difficulties Questionnaire to assess thoracic physical function. Clin Rehabil. 2020;34:132-140.
- Jahan S, Sarathchandran S, Akhter S, Goldblatt J, Stark S, Crawford D, Mallett A and Thomas M. Prevalence of Fabry disease in dialysis patients: Western Australia Fabry disease screening study - the FoRWARD study. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2020;15:10.
- Hu X, Li X, Boggett S, Yang Y, Chun-Ting W, Anstey J, Royse A and Royse C. Routine Intraoperative Inhaled Milrinone and Iloprost Reduces Inotrope Use in Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery: A Retrospective Cohort Pilot Study. Anesth Analg. 2020;131:527-536.
- Goldblatt J, Ward A, Yusuf M, Day M, Godbole G and Morris-Jones S. Azithromycin susceptibility testing for Salmonella enterica isolates: discordances in results using MIC gradient strips. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2020;75:1820-1823.
- Fricke TA, Skillington PD, Shi WY, Buratto E, Wynne R, Larobina M and Grigg LE. Pulmonary Valve Function Late After Ross Procedure in 443 Adult Patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;109:1127-1131.
- Denault AY, Delisle S, Canty D, Royse A, Royse C, Serra XC, Gebhard CE, Couture EJ, Girard M, Cavayas YA, Peschanski N, Langevin S and Ouellet P. A proposed lung ultrasound and phenotypic algorithm for the care of COVID-19 patients with acute respiratory failure. Can J Anaesth. 2020.
- Cid X, Canty D, Royse A, Maier AB, Johnson D, El-Ansary D, Clarke-Errey S, Fazio T and Royse C. Impact of point-of-care ultrasound on the hospital length of stay for internal medicine inpatients with cardiopulmonary diagnosis at admission: study protocol of a randomized controlled trial-the IMFCU-1 (Internal Medicine Focused Clinical Ultrasound) study. Trials. 2020;21:53.
- Chikwe J, Gaudino M, Hameed I, Robinson NB, Bakaeen FG, Menicanti L, Doenst T, Zheng Z, Lemma M, Falk V, Tatoulis J, Girardi LN, Fremes S and Ruel M. Committee Recommendations for Resuming Cardiac Surgery Activity in the SARS-CoV-2 Era: Guidance From an International Cardiac Surgery Consortium. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020;110:725-732.
- Canty DJ, Kim M, Guha R, Pham T, Royse AG, Errey-Clarke S, Smith JA and Royse CF. Comparison of Cardiac Output of Both 2-Dimensional and 3-Dimensional Transesophageal Echocardiography With Transpulmonary Thermodilution During Cardiac Surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2020;34:77-86.
- Boggett S, Chahal R, Griffiths J, Lin J, Wang D, Williams Z, Riedel B, Bowyer A, Royse A and Royse C. A randomised controlled trial comparing deep neuromuscular blockade reversed with sugammadex with moderate neuromuscular block reversed with neostigmine. Anaesthesia. 2020.
- Wijayarathne PM, Skillington P, Menahem S, Thuraisingam A, Larobina M and Grigg L. Pulmonary Allograft Versus Medtronic Freestyle Valve in Surgical Pulmonary Valve Replacement for Adults Following Correction of Tetralogy of Fallot or Its Variants. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2019;10:543-551.
- Wigmore GJ, Anstey JR, St John A, Greaney J, Morales-Codina M, Presneill JJ, Deane AM, MacIsaac CM, Bailey M, Tatoulis J and Bellomo R. 20% Human Albumin Solution Fluid Bolus Administration Therapy in Patients After Cardiac Surgery (the HAS FLAIR Study). J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2019;33:2920-2927.
- Tatoulis J and Wynne R. Hospitalizations following coronary artery bypass: more than we think! An Australian perspective. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2019;55:903-904.
- Sharma VJ, Gupta A, Yaftian N, Ball D, Brown R, Barnett S and Antippa P. Low recurrence of lung adenoid cystic carcinoma with radiotherapy and resection. ANZ J Surg. 2019;89:1051-1055.
- Seitz M, Goldblatt J, Paul E, Marcus T, Larobina M and Yap CH. Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement Via Right Anterior Mini-Thoracotomy: Propensity Matched Initial Experience. Heart Lung Circ. 2019;28:320-326.
- Royse AG, Pawanis Z, Clarke-Errey S and Royse CF. Calcium-Channel Blockers and Radial Artery Grafting. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019;74:1422.
- Royse AG, Clarke-Errey S, Brennan AP, Pawanis Z and Royse CF. Reply: Better Survival With Radial Grafting: Is it Really All About the Conduit? J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019;73:735-736.
- Royse AG, Brennan AP, Pawanis Z, Canty D and Royse CF. Patency When Grafted to Coronary Stenosis More Than 50% in LIMA-RA-Y Grafts. Heart Lung Circ. 2019.
- Reade MC, Marks DC, Bellomo R, Deans R, Faulke DJ, Fraser JF, Gattas DJ, Holley AD, Irving DO, Johnson L, Pearse BL, Royse AG, Wong J, Cryopreserved vs Liquid Platelet Investigators tA, New Zealand College of Anaesthetists Clinical Trials N, the A and New Zealand Intensive Care Society Clinical Trials G. A randomized, controlled pilot clinical trial of cryopreserved platelets for perioperative surgical bleeding: the CLIP-I trial (Editorial, p. 2759). Transfusion. 2019;59:2794-2804.
- Pengelly J, Pengelly M, Lin KY, Royse C, Royse A, Bryant A, Williams G and El-Ansary D. Resistance Training Following Median Sternotomy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Heart Lung Circ. 2019;28:1549-1559.
- Pengelly J, Pengelly M, Lin KY, Royse C, Karri R, Royse A, Bryant A, Williams G and El-Ansary D. Exercise Parameters and Outcome Measures Used in Cardiac Rehabilitation Programs Following Median Sternotomy in the Elderly: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Heart Lung Circ. 2019;28:1560-1570.
- Pascoe HM, Antippa P, Irving L, Christie M and McCusker MW. Rare manifestation of Neurofibromatosis type 1: A plexiform neurofibroma involving the mediastinum and lungs with endobronchial neurofibromata. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2019;63:76-78.
- Nguyen MT, Goldblatt J, Isasi R, Jagut M, Jonker AH, Kaufmann P, Ouillade L, Molnar-Gabor F, Shabani M, Sid E, Tasse AM, Wong-Rieger D, Knoppers BM and Force IR-GGMCCT. Model consent clauses for rare disease research. BMC Med Ethics. 2019;20:55.
- Mileshkin L, Dunn C, Cross H, Duffy M, Shaw M, Antippa P, Mitchell P, Akhurst T, Conron M, Moore M, Philip J, Bartlett J, Emery J and Zambello B. The Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre lung cancer clinical audit: collecting the UK National Lung Cancer Audit data from hospitals in Australia. Intern Med J. 2019;49:1001-1006.
- Goldblatt J, Lawrenson RA, Muir L, Dattani S, Hoffland A, Tsuchiya T, Kanegasaki S, Sriskandan S and Pease JE. A Requirement for Neutrophil Glycosaminoglycans in Chemokine:Receptor Interactions Is Revealed by the Streptococcal Protease SpyCEP. J Immunol. 2019;202:3246-3255.
- Gaudino M, Fremes S, Schwann TA, Tatoulis J, Wingo M and Tranbaugh RF. Technical Aspects of the Use of the Radial Artery in Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2019;108:613-622.
- Garg AX, Chan MTV, Cuerden MS, Devereaux PJ, Abbasi SH, Hildebrand A, Lamontagne F, Lamy A, Noiseux N, Parikh CR, Perkovic V, Quantz M, Rochon A, Royse A, Sessler DI, Shah PJ, Sontrop JM, Tagarakis GI, Teoh KH, Vincent J, Walsh M, Yared JP, Yusuf S, Whitlock RP and Investigators S. Effect of methylprednisolone on acute kidney injury in patients undergoing cardiac surgery with a cardiopulmonary bypass pump: a randomized controlled trial. CMAJ. 2019;191:E247-E256.
- Canty DJ, Heiberg J, Yang Y, Royse AG, Margale S, Nanjappa N, Scott DA, Maier AB, Sessler DI, Chuan A, Palmer AJ, Bucknill A, French CJ and Royse CF. One-year results of the pilot multicentre randomised trial of preoperative focused cardiac ultrasound in hip fracture surgery. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2019;47:207-208.
- Canty D, Barth J, Yang Y, Peters N, Palmer A, Royse A and Royse C. Comparison of learning outcomes for teaching focused cardiac ultrasound to physicians: A supervised human model course versus an eLearning guided self- directed simulator course. J Crit Care. 2019;49:38-44.
- Balachandran S, Denehy L, Lee A, Royse C, Royse A and El-Ansary D. Motion at the Sternal Edges During Upper Limb and Trunk Tasks In-Vivo as Measured by Real-Time Ultrasound Following Cardiac Surgery: A Three-Month Prospective, Observational Study. Heart Lung Circ. 2019;28:1283-1291.
- Ahmad T, Ludhani PM, Gurvitch R, Larobina M, Goldblatt J and Tatoulis J. Use of Transcatheter Valves for Open Surgical Mitral Valve Replacement. Australian Experience. Heart Lung Circ. 2019;28:464-470.
- Ahmad T, Ludhani PM, Gurvitch R, Goldblatt J and Tatoulis J. Open surgical mitral valve replacement with a transcatheter Edwards Sapien-XT valve. ANZ J Surg. 2019;89:436-438.
This Research Group doesn't currently have any projects
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Professor Alistair Royse
Department / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.