Ultrasound Education Group
+61 3 9035 4704
+61 3 9035 4759
The Ultrasound Education Group is part of the Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne and is located on the 6th floor of the Centre for Medical Research Building, co-located with The Royal Melbourne Hospital
"The Melbourne Biomedical Precinct is made up of over 40 hospitals, research, teaching and biotechnology organisations largely collocated to the north of Melbourne’s CBD in the area extending from East Melbourne, Carlton and North Melbourne to Parkville in the north." - credit: MelbourneBioMed
UEG comprises of academics, including Prof Alistair Royse (Cardiothoracic surgeon, Deputy Director of Surgery), Prof Colin Royse (Anaesthetist) and Dr David Canty (Anaesthetist, Senior Lecturer), who supervise higher research degree students, undergraduate medical students performing research projects, and post-graduated clinicians pursuing active research and education projects.
Research themes include a wide range of ultrasound including transoesophageal echocardiography for cardiac surgery, clinical point of care diagnostic ultrasound of heart, lungs, abdomen, vascular, invasive procedures, and new techniques. Other active areas of research include cardiac surgery, cardiothoracic anaesthesia, postoperative quality of recovery in all types of surgery, and medical education.
In 2015 the unit was successful in obtaining the largest NHMRC grant awarded to a department from The University of Melbourne, which was for The International Multi-centre Randomised Trial on Transfusion Triggers in Cardiac Surgery, led from Ontario, Canada.
UEG develop and administer graduate courses in clinical ultrasound at a certificate, diploma or master’s level, which is well subscribed both within Australia and Internationally. The courses are unique in that they are extremely efficient, implementing a state-of-the-art on-line interactive eLearning software and platforms for both educational delivery as well as student enrolment, tracking and engagement.
In 2011, UEG received the Teaching Award for Excellence in Program Development with the Postgraduate courses in clinical ultrasound. Recently, the group has acquired high fidelity simulator equipment and set up a simulator education laboratory and education program, which is led by Dr David Canty, The Director of Simulation. A number of courses have been set up, which have been very successful amongst medical specialists, trainees and residents and are likely to change the way that practical ultrasound skills are learned. Details of the courses and workshops can be found at
Education Professional Staff
- Ms Edwina Coller, Manager, Ultrasound Education Group
- Michelle Fung, Salesforce Admin - 8344 2980
- Steven Harvey, Salesforce and IT Development - 9035 4739
- Arthur Jong, Project Officer - 8344 0083
- Anita Wong, Project Officer - 8344 0409
- Khoa Nguyen, Project Officer - 8344 7126
- Matthew White, Project Officer - 8344 6124
- Lacey Whelan, Graphic Designer - 8344 3143
- Kristine McDonald, Finance - 9035 4605
- Laura Mocioaca, Sonographer - 9035 4700
- June Ramsey, Personal Assistant - 9035 8118
- Lynda Tivendale, Research Nurse Coordinator
- Zelda Williams, Research Nurse
- Stuart Boggett, Research Assistant
- Dr Martin Kim, Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Dr Shashikanth Manikippa, Clinical Associate Professor
- Clinical Associate Professor Parm Naidoo, Director of Radiology, Dandenong Hospital, St Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne
- Dr Tim Haydon - Epworth Hospital
- Tess Vawser - Simulation Centre, Royal Melbourne Hospital
- Professor Ahmed Alsaddique - Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Saudi Arabia
- Professor Andrew Palmer - Head of Health Economics, Menzies Institute Tasmania
- Professor Sam Newman - Neuropsychologist, London, UK
- Dr Kyle Brooks - Intensivist
- Dr Yang Yang - Intensivist
NHMRC TRICS $1.5m
ANZCA project grant $52,000 2016-2017
Royal Melbourne Hospital Foundation Equipment grants:
- 2013 - $140,000 for an ultrasound simulator
- 2015 - $43,000 for hand held cardiac ultrasound machines
- 2015 - $42,000 for vascular access simulator equipment
Prof Colin Royse on ResearchGate
Dr Doa El-Ansary on ResearchGate
- Royse, A. G.; Royse, C. F. Epiaortic ultrasound assessment of the aorta in cardiac surgery Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol (2009) 23 3 335-41 RGMS ID P10490719. Follow up technique paper describing the methods of performing intraoperative ultrasound examination of the aorta prior to manipulation to prevent cerebral atheroembolism. This technique has been performed several thousand times.
- Royse CF, Canty DJ, Faris J, Haji DL, Veltman M, Royse A. Core review: physician-performed ultrasound: the time has come for routine use in acute care medicine. Anesth Analg (2012) 115 5 1007 - 1208 RGMS ID P01483152. A review of physician-performed ultrasound a change that is likely to change clinical practice by providing all physicians with immediate and better diagnostic accuracy.
- Canty, D; Kim, M; Royse, C; Andrews, D; Bottrell, S; Royse, A The Impact of Routine Norepinephrine Infusion on Hemodilution and Blood Transfusion in Cardiac Surgery Anesthe Clinic Res (2013) 4 8 1-5 RGMS ID P12285184. This paper illustrate a new approach to blood management by adopting a preventative approach – minimising haemodilution and thus need for blood transfusion.
- Haji, D. L.; Royse, A.; Royse, C. F. Review article: Clinical impact of non-cardiologist-performed transthoracic echocardiography in emergency medicine, intensive care medicine and anaesthesia Emerg Med Australas (2013) 25 1 4-12 PMID: 23379446 RGMS ID P12285183. The benefits of point of care ultrasound are widely applicable.
- Whitlock, R.; Healey, J.; Vincent, J.; Brady, K.; Teoh, K.; Royse, A.; Shah, P.; Guo, Y.; Alings, M.; Folkeringa, R. J.; Paparella, D.; Colli, A.; Meyer, S. R.; Legare, J. F.; Lamontagne, F.; Reents, W.; Boning, A.; Connolly, S. Rationale and design of the Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion Study (LAAOS) III Ann Cardiothorac Surg (2014) 3 1 45-54 PMID: 24516797 RGMS ID P12892405. Most relevant to this NHMRC application.
- Canty DJ, Heiberg J, Tan JA, Yang Y, Royse AG, Royse CF, et al. Assessment of Image Quality of Repeated Limited Transthoracic Echocardiography After Cardiac Surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2017;31(3):965-72.
- Shehata N, Whitlock R, Fergusson DA, Thorpe KE, MacAdams C, Grocott HP, et al. Transfusion Requirements in Cardiac Surgery III (TRICS III): Study Design of a Randomized Controlled Trial. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2018;32(1):121-9.
- Katijjahbe MA, Granger CL, Denehy L, Royse A, Royse C, Bates R, et al. Standard restrictive sternal precautions and modified sternal precautions had similar effects in people after cardiac surgery via median sternotomy ('SMART' Trial): a randomised trial. J Physiother. 2018;64(2):97-106.
Focused Cardiac and lung ultrasound
- Canty DJ, Dhara SS. High frequency jet ventilation through a supraglottic airway device: a case series of patients undergoing extra-corporeal shock wave lithotripsy. Anaesthesia 2009; 64: 1295-8.
- Canty DJ, Royse CF. Audit of anaesthetist-performed echocardiography on perioperative management decisions for non-cardiac surgery. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2009;103(3):352-8.
- Canty, Royse C. Re: Audit or something else? British Journal of Anaesthesia 2009 Jul 21.
- Canty D, Royse C, Kilpatrick D, Bowman L, Royse A. The impact of focused transthoracic echocardiography in the pre-operative clinic. Anaesthesia 2012; 67(6): 618-25.
- Canty D, Royse C, Kilpatrick D, Bowyer A, Royse A. The impact on cardiac diagnosis and mortality of focused transthoracic echocardiography in hip fracture surgery patients with increased risk of cardiac disease: a retrospective cohort study. Anaesthesia 2012; 67(11): 1202-9.
- Royse CF, Canty DJ, et al. Core review: physician-performed ultrasound: the time has come for routine use in acute care medicine. Anesthesia & Analgesia 2012 Nov; 115(5): 1007-28.
- Canty D, Royse C, Kilpatrick D, Williams D, Royse A.The impact of preoperative focused transthoracic echocardiography in emergency non-cardiac surgery patients with known or risk of cardiac disease. Anaesthesia 2012; 67(7): 714-20.Canty D, Royse C. Focused Transthoracic Echocardiography in Hip Fracture Surgery Patients (review). International Journal of Clinical Anesthesia 2013 Sep; 1(3):1014.
- Lam K, Canty D, Royse C, Royse A. Hospital survey of point-of-care lung ultrasound use in the assessment of peri-operative and critically ill patients. Crit Care 2012; 16: 437. Canty D, Royse C. A reply. Anaesthesia 2013 Feb; 68(2): 207-208.
- Lucas J, Canty D. The Impact of Routine Focused Transthoracic Echocardiography Immediately Before Renovascular Surgery in Patients with End Stage Renal Disease– a Brief Report. International Journal of Clinical Anesthesia 2013 Dec; 1(3): 1017
- Alsaddique A, Royse AG, Royse CF, Mobeirek A, El Shaer F, AlBackr H, et al. Repeated Monitoring With Transthoracic Echocardiography and Lung Ultrasound After Cardiac Surgery: Feasibility and Impact on Diagnosis. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2015.
- Yates J, Royse CF, Royse C, Royse AG, Canty DJ. Focused cardiac ultrasound is feasible in the general practice setting and alters diagnosis and management of cardiac disease. Echo Res Pract. 2016;3(3):63-9.
- Heiberg J, El-Ansary D, Canty DJ, Royse AG, Royse CF. Focused echocardiography: a systematic review of diagnostic and clinical decision-making in anaesthesia and critical care. Anaesthesia. 2016;71(9):1091-100.
- Alsaddique A, Royse AG, Royse CF, Mobeirek A, El Shaer F, AlBackr H, et al. Repeated Monitoring With Transthoracic Echocardiography and Lung Ultrasound After Cardiac Surgery: Feasibility and Impact on Diagnosis. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2016;30(2):406-12.
- Haji K, Haji D, Canty DJ, Royse AG, Tharmaraj D, Azraee M, et al. The Feasibility and Impact of Routine Combined Limited Transthoracic Echocardiography and Lung Ultrasound on Diagnosis and Management of Patients Admitted to ICU: A Prospective Observational Study. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2018;32(1):354-60.
- Canty DJ, Heiberg J, Yang Y, Royse AG, Margale S, Nanjappa N, et al. Pilot multi-centre randomised trial of the impact of pre-operative focused cardiac ultrasound on mortality and morbidity in patients having surgery for femoral neck fractures (ECHONOF-2 pilot). Anaesthesia. 2018;73(4):428-37.
Postoperative Quality of Recovery
- Royse C Epidurals for cardiac surgery: can we substantially reduce surgical morbidity or should we focus on quality of recovery? Anesthesiology 2011; 114: 232-3.
- Royse CF, Chung F, Newman S, Stygall J, Wilkinson DJ Predictors of patient satisfaction with anaesthesia and surgery care: a cohort study using the Postoperative Quality of Recovery Scale. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2013; 30: 106-10.
- Royse CF, Newman S, Williams Z, Wilkinson DJ A human volunteer study to identify variability in performance in the cognitive domain of the postoperative quality of recovery scale. Anesthesiology 2013; 119: 576-81.
- Lindqvist M, Royse C, Brattwall M, Warren-Stomberg M, Jakobsson J Post-operative Quality of Recovery Scale: the impact of assessment method on cognitive recovery. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2013; 57: 1308-12.
- Liu J, Yuan W, Wang X, et al. Peripheral nerve blocks versus general anesthesia for total knee replacement in elderly patients on the postoperative quality of recovery. Clin Interv Aging 2014; 9: 341-50.
- Newman S, Wilkinson DJ, Royse CF Assessment of early cognitive recovery after surgery using the Post-operative Quality of Recovery Scale. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2014; 58: 185-91.
- Royse CF, Williams Z, Purser S, Newman S Recovery after nasal surgery vs. tonsillectomy: discriminant validation of the Postoperative Quality of Recovery Scale. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2014; 58: 345-51.
- Royse CF, Williams Z, Ye G, et al. Knee surgery recovery: Post-operative Quality of Recovery Scale comparison of age and complexity of surgery. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2014; 58: 660-7.
- Bowyer A, Jakobsson J, Ljungqvist O, Royse C A review of the scope and measurement of postoperative quality of recovery. Anaesthesia 2014; 69: 1266-78.
- Bowyer A, Royse C The importance of postoperative quality of recovery: influences, assessment, and clinical and prognostic implications. Can J Anaesth 2016; 63: 176-83.
- Bowyer AJ, Royse CF Postoperative recovery and outcomes--what are we measuring and for whom? Anaesthesia 2016; 71 Suppl 1: 72-7.
- Bowyer A, Royse CF. The future of postoperative quality of recovery assessment: multidimensional, dichotomous, and directed to individualize care to patients after surgery. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2016;29(6):683-90.
- Brumby AM, Heiberg J, Te C, Royse CF. Quality of recovery after gastroscopy, colonos(1, 2)copy, or both endoscopic procedures: an observational pilot study. Minerva Anestesiol. 2017;83(11):1161-8.
- Royse CF, Saager L, Whitlock R, Ou-Young J, Royse A, Vincent J, et al. Impact of Methylprednisolone on Postoperative Quality of Recovery and Delirium in the Steroids in Cardiac Surgery Trial: A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Substudy. Anesthesiology. 2017;126(2):223-33.
- Ni J, El-Ansary D, Heiberg J, Shen G, You Q, Gao Y, et al. Validation of a revised Mandarin Chinese language version of the Postoperative Quality of Recovery Scale. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2018;46(3):278-89.
- Canty DJ, Hayes JA, Story DA, Royse CF. Ultrasound simulator-assisted teaching of cardiac anatomy to preclinical anatomy students: A pilot randomized trial of a three-hour learning exposure. Anat Sci Educ 2014.
- Canty DJ, Royse AG, Royse CF. Self-directed simulator echocardiography training: a scalable solution. Anaesth Intensive Care 2015 43(3) 425-
- Maclaren G, Kluger R, Prior D, Royse A, Royse C. Tissue Doppler, strain, and strain rate echocardiography: principles and potential perioperative applications. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2006 20(4) 583-93.
- Royse CF, Connelly KA, MacLaren G, Royse AG. Evaluation of echocardiography indices of systolic function: a comparative study using pressure-volume loops in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery. Anaesthesia 2007 62(2) 109-16.
- Royse CF, Bird H, Royse AG. Routine assessment of coeliac axis and renal artery flow is not feasible with transoesophageal echocardiography. Anaesthesia 2009 64(1) 103-4.
- Conaglen PJ, Ellims A, Royse C, Royse A. Acute repair of traumatic tricuspid valve regurgitation aided by three-dimensional echocardiography. Heart Lung Circ 2011 20(4) 237-40.
- MacLaren G, Kluger R, Connelly KA, Royse CF. Comparative feasibility of myocardial velocity and strain measurements using 2 different methods with transesophageal echocardiography during cardiac surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2011 25(2) 216-20.
- Canty DJ, Joshi P, Royse CF, McMillan J, Tayeh S, Smith JA. Transesophageal Echocardiography Guidance of Antegrade Cardioplegia Delivery for Cardiac Surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2015 29(6) 1498-503
- Heiberg J, El-Ansary D, Royse CF, Royse AG, Alsaddique AA, Canty DJ. Transthoracic and transoesophageal echocardiography: a systematic review of feasibility and impact on diagnosis, management and outcome after cardiac surgery. Anaesthesia. 2016;71(10):1210-21.
- Transoesophageal echoardiography in cardiac surgery
- Arterial grafting for coronary artery revascularisation
- Focused cardiac and lung ultrasound in clinical care
- Postoperative Quality of Recovery
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Co-director Professor Colin Royse
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.