On this page you will find a list of events being hosted around northern Victoria for Sexual Health Month 2023 (4 September - 2 October). We want everyone to have an opportunity to expand their knowledge and explore the sexual health space in the Loddon Mallee and Hume region, so please join us and our partners at any of the events taking place during this week dedicated to sex positivity, increasing access, and breaking down barriers and stigma around sexual health.
Events hosted in Loddon Mallee
4 September, 10:00am - 2:30pm: Sunraysia Community Health Services (SCHS) Sexual Health Open Day
SCHS are celebrating Sexual Health Month with an Open Day. Young people of Mildura are welcome to attend SCHS at 137 Thirteenth street Mildura between 10 am – 2.30pm. There will be information on:
- Sexual Health Appointments – where and how to make an appointment in Mildura
- Contraception Options
- STI & safe sex
- Navigating Periods & Menstruation
- Games & Activities
- Merchandise & giveaways
6 September, 10:00am - 11:30am: Her Health Matters Launch
An online event in celebration of the launch of Her Health Matters Sexual and Reproductive Health Strategy for women in the Loddon Mallee. With special guest speaker Anita Brown-Major, founder of Thrive Rehab and Cliterate. Register here.
7 September: Sexual Health Pub Trivia
To celebrate and promote Sexual Health Week this year, staff from the Respectful Relationships and School Nursing programs have partnered with The Setts Mildura pub venue to host a Sexual Health Trivia night. This event will be supported by Sunraysia Community Health and other CERSH Mildura Community of Practice organisations. Entry is free so get your team together and make a booking on 03 5023 0474.
Clinic 60 Video - Swan Hill District Health (SHDH)
To celebrate sexual health month, SHDH has developed a new video to show what an appointment at Clinic 60 might look like! Clinic 60 offers a strictly confidential health service for young people up to 30 years of age. Check out the video here. SHDH also has a women’s clinic, offering women, people with a cervix, and trans and gender diverse people a confidential consultation to discuss any issues regarding their health. Check out the women's clinic video here.
All month: Storytime in Schools
We are inviting all local schools to show support by participating in a Storytime during Sexual Health Month. Schools that would like to participate can access a number of age-appropriate books via CERSH, aimed at communicating topics of body autonomy, assertive communication and self-confidence to read throughout the week. The topic for primary schools during this month is Consent Education.
Sexual Health Week - Recommended Picture Books
These books touch on topics of consent, positive self-image, and the celebration of diversity!
- 'Dont Touch My Hair' - Sharee Miller. An entertaining picture book that teaches the importance of asking for permission first as a young girl attempts to escape the curious hands that want to touch her hair.
- 'My Own Way' - Joanna Estrela. Small children are often asked to choose between a gendered binary–"boy" or "girl", "pink" or "blue". This colorful picture book smashes these stereotypes and encourages the reader to follow their own way!
- 'How to Say Hello' - Sophie Beer. From a high five to a fist bump, from a wave to a kiss, there are so many wonderful ways to say hello. This book teaches children different types of physical and verbal communication, and the different ways to make our friends feel welcome.
- 'Bodies Are Cool' - Tyler Feder. A celebration of all the different human bodies that exist in the world. It will instill body acceptance and confidence in the youngest of readers. “My body, your body, every different kind of body! All of them are good bodies! BODIES ARE COOL!”.
- 'ABC of Body Safety and Consent' - Jayneen Sanders. The 26 'key' letters and accompanying words will help children to learn and consolidate age-appropriate, crucial and life-changing body safety and consent skills, such as consent, respect, body boundaries, safe and unsafe touch, Early Warning Signs, Safety Network, private parts, and the difference between secrets and surprises.
- 'Be Your Own Man' - Jessica Sanders. Have you ever felt you should act a certain way or do certain things, just because you're a boy? This book encourages young boys to broaden their ideas about what it means to be a boy, supporting them to feel free and proud to be who they truly are.
Events hosted in the Goulburn Valley and the Northeast
28 September: Sexual Health Month Trivia Beechworth
Come along to the Sexual Health Month Trivia in Beechworth at the Empire Hotel.